[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Tactical stuff

Tactical stuff

Five-a-side dinosaur football

Tactical stuff

Postby Andywoolnough » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:37 am

Andywoolnough

Postby axel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 pm

axel

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Bob Janova » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:34 pm

Bob Janova

Postby axel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm

In an actual game humans have at least a chance of misthrowing, so going after the ball-carrier makes sense. Forcing him to throw creates a chance of an error.

In this game the throw is virtually certain to score, so leaving the downfield man is certain to cause a goal, while I find it is possible (very difficult) to stay just close enough to the downfield guy to discourage a pass, then try to tackle the runner just at the line. It's only worked once or twice but it was great! So I like the current system.

Anyway, they're dinosaurs. They're not supposed to be smart.
axel

Postby Andywoolnough » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:46 pm

The probelm with abandoning the man as Sean describes is that sometimes an attacking dino on a two on one situation can be caught by a dino running back. So you get the frustrating experience of just about getting to the oppo dino only for him to lob the ball to his unmarked team mate as your covering dino has left his man to tackle the dino you were just about to.

Other things - Sean, has the game been programmed to make winning without conceding a point next to impossible? I can be cruising 4, 5, up to 8 nil and going great, then the opposition will score of some dumb ass mistake by my guys in the last 2 seconds. I've taken to recording my games on paper (sad, I know!) just to check and I have only acheived two wins to nil in over forty games.

Also, is it deliberatly difficult to win two consecutive dino championships? Again, I have won the league a good fifteen or twenty times, but rarely have I won it back to back and never three in a row. You conquor all before you, winning four or five games to win the championship and then next season, bang - 4-0 loss to the team that's just come up and in a relegation dogfight. Is this deliberate too?

Finally, transfers? Could you not have dino attributes (basic ones like speed, pass accuracy, vision for long passes) and transfer in from a limited pool? That might add a managerial element to it which may stop it getting a bit samey.

It hadn't occured to me that dinos were stupid! What makes people think they were anyway? Such Dino bigotry should be banned under UK law.
Andywoolnough

Postby Bob Janova » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:38 pm

I think the competence of your dinos ? and that of the other teams ? varies randomly from season to season. As we all know, random numbers tend to produce clusters every now and again (two seasons of 10 point championships) but eventually you'll have a bad year.

I think it's just hard for dinos with such little defensive nous (sp?) to defend for three minutes without cocking up. I tend to get maybe one win to nil in 7 or 8 games.

Edit: it took me 6 games after posting this (all of which I won :D ). I beat Jurassic Steel 1-0, scoring with 13 seconds to go ... thought it might end up being my first ever 0-0!
Bob Janova

Postby Quitch » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:13 pm

Quitch

Postby Andywoolnough » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Andywoolnough

Postby Quitch » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm

Quitch

Postby Andywoolnough » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Nothing of the sort. I was applauding your helpfulness and modesty.
Andywoolnough

Postby BlueJohnHook » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:32 pm

BlueJohnHook

Postby qwas » Sun May 28, 2006 6:52 am

I though I might mention my tactic here:

I'm terrible at the game and never (like most other games) use tactics. The main way I win is just by waiting in the opponents goal for my friends to come up to me, that way he can pass to me if he's being tackled and we score :D Hope that helped.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Quitch » Sun May 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Quitch

Postby Arius » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Arius

Return to Football-o-saurus