Feature requests

Five-a-side dinosaur football
axel

Feature requests

Post by axel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Ok, here's my feature request list. I think these are all quite easy to implement, to tempt Sean to make a version 1.1b (i.e. no need for a major revision):

1. I'd like to be able to watch the other games. So, the games in the schedule would be shown as Game 1, Game 2, etc. and I would then click on "Watch" or "Skip". Of course I can't skip my own game.

2a. Cheering should be louder if the point just scored brings it to a tie or to just exceed a tie if there is less than one minute to go. Just a louder wav file.

2b. During the last game in the season there should be periodic chants in the background (not constant).

2c. The beeping during the last 20 seconds gets annoying. It should beep once at 30 seconds to go, once at 20, once at 10, and then each of the last 5 seconds.

3. The bouncing of dinos on scoring is great, but it should also be higher and longer when it's a key goal (as in 2a) and during the last game.

4. The most important improvement: After the 'regular season', there should be a playoff season in which team 1 plays team 4 and team 2 plays team 3. The winners play each other in the final, and that winner goes to the next division. There's no deciding playoff for teams 5 and 6. Team 6 is just out, as currently.

5. I'd like to be able so see the abilities of my players and change their starting positions at least.

6. Which side of the field I start on should be random. When I'm on the right side it's an Away game and my team is listed second in the display. During "Away" games the crowd boos when I score!

7. When possession changes there should be a "Yeah!" cheer (or perhaps an "Ohh!" during away games). This might be tricky, given the "Oof!" sound during a tackle.

I think these changes would drive player excitement greatly and are pretty simple to program. Finding the wav files would be the hardest part I think.

Anyway, thanks Sean for writing a great game. Now I have to go beat Razor Claw.

(Edit: I lost.)

-Axel, head coach of Walnut Brain.

axel

Post by axel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:14 am

Oh, yeah, and when a team has just scored and is bouncing around celebrating, the other team should slow down to half speed (moping) :)

axel

Post by axel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:59 am

Oh, yeah, and the clock should not start until the ball hits the ground. Also, if the clock runs out during a pass that results in a score, the score should count.
And the clock should have a colon (":") to make it easier to read. It took me awhile to realize it was minutes and seconds, rather than just a number of seconds ("Why does the game last 260 seconds?" is a question I actually wondered!). Yes, I realize this means I am an idiot, but I bet I'm not the only one who thought this.

axel

Post by axel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:16 am

One more thing: Currently the ball is thrown on mouse button release. I see no effect of this except delaying the throw and making it likely to get tackled. The ball should be thrown on mouse button down.

I suppose the current system allows you to aim, but in reality it's always faster to just throw.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Mostly agreed with these, but not the one about the playoff. The top team should always go up, and since the divisions are so small they have to be one-up-one-down then playoffs are a silly idea.

And the fixture list should be fixed so each team plays each team once!

axel

Post by axel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:51 pm

I agree with the last part. But also: Overtime! On a tie, an overtime period of one minute should ensue. Sudden death. Ties would be less likely, which would be good.

axel

Post by axel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 pm

Oh, yeah; one more thing: If you hold the ctrl key down, your dinos will "stick to their man". This would be an easy way to prevent the Duh, Pretty Ball Syndrome (DPBS). I wouldn't want to add too much 'functionality' though. It should always be an extremely simple game to play.

Zarni

Post by Zarni » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:28 am

Hiya,

Agree with most of these, but would vary on a few as well.

Re : Watch or skip - nice idea, but I think it'd get boring pretty quickly. Only in if you could check-box the games you want to watch, and the default option being to skip.

Re : Random sides - good idea, but let's expand the competition to include home and away games, with the starting position reflecting whether its a home or away game for your team. Maybe the difficulty levels could be tweaked so that teams perform better at home than away as well.

Re : Playoff - don't think this makes sense, unless you increase the number of teams.

Re : Overtime - I like this idea - a "golden goal" scenario would work great for this game.

Re : ctrl for "stick to their man" - Like the idea, but let's use the right mouse button rather than control key - one of the things I've alway really liked about about the game is the use of the mouse for all control - the use of the right button and perhaps the wheel (formation changes via the wheel, perhaps?) keeps everything simple.

Re : Clock start - no need IMHO, but an option to vary the length of games would be nice - 3 minutes is sometimes too short. Another option, how about half time? Two halves of 2 minutes could be fun, and also allow for tactic chanes in the AI if the score suggests it (although there's nothing to say they couldn't change formation in real time anyway).

I wrote up a list of Bugs and RFEs a while ago, there's still a lot of items there of interest - but some of them would be version 2.0 type things I guess ;). Other things that need to be fixed (the negative scores and scheduling bugs) have been mentioned before.

axel

Post by axel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:40 am

Good suggestions. The right mouse button part is good.

The clock start idea just relates to the fact that a game will always end during the toss if there is less than 4 seconds to go, which makes formation pointless. Maybe the clock could start on first ball contact.

In version 2 a striped referee (no pants, of couse) should run about pointlessly, and stick his tiny vestigial arms in the air when a goal is scored. His hands would barely come up to his ears; you'd have to look close just to see any difference.

On a more serious note, we could use more team colors...

pauly

RIGHT CLICK

Post by pauly » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:01 am

wHAt about a "blocking" function. When u want to block an opponent, u right click and they fall down as though they've been tackled, but u could do this to players without the ball...

pauly

a good feature

Post by pauly » Mon May 08, 2006 11:58 pm

A good feature would be to have a half time, then the teams swap ends. Also a weather feature would be great, snow, rain or sunny weather would make the ball slide further on the grass, or make it harder to catch. This would help the game be more unpredictable for those of us who win every div1 game. Also, im sure the teams used to change formation during a game, they don't anymore but I think they should so they can counter certain formations or play defensive when they're ahead.

blogGreen88

formation coaching

Post by blogGreen88 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:53 pm

This is a good talking about the formation coaching!!I learn a lot more about formation coaching here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as wellness ostsee or dog bones or portuguese language.
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)

pauly

what about this...

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:05 pm

What about a right click function that is equivilent to shouting "pass to me!" the dino in possesion-on your team- would then attempt to pass the ball to you. A little speech bubble could be used to show this.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Ability to revert to the old tackling model.

holg3r

Post by holg3r » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:48 am

This may already have been suggested elsewhere: I'd like to have a "pause" button added, so that one can pause during a match without having to close football-o-saurus.

I know, the current verions of the game already does paus when I click into the menu bar -- but this kind of pausing is released instantly when I then switch to another windows application. Moreover, the mouse cursor currently cannot move anywhere outside the area covered by the f-o-saurus window -- even when this window is not in front. The desired pause button would thus not only freeze the ongoing match but also release the mouse cursor...

It'd be nice if you could implement such a pause functionality in your next f-o-s update, Sean.

Thanx
Holger