88mm lacking accuracy.

Real time World War II combat simulation
Fultron

88mm lacking accuracy.

Post by Fultron » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Well, I've been playing a few games as the Germans, and I've come to find that on many occasions, my 88's have been having trouble hitting Russian Armor at ranges that are still within its effective reach. I don't mean for this post to sound derogatory, its just to see what others think as well.

Any book or article I've read talk of the deadly accuracy, range, and multiple roles the 88 was capable of. I just don't get the feeling that the 88 is something to be feared in this game as rarely does it hit its target out to (in-game) medium-long range. The horizontal effective range for the real thing was 16000 yards and it was excellent at hitting moving targets. The 88 should really be knocking out armor left and right, although I can understand how this would make the gun overpowered game-wise.

This could be blamed on inexperienced gun crews, pressure, or fear, but it doesn't seem logical to me as there would be at least one if not more well trained and experienced members of the crew to direct the reloading, aiming, and firing procedure.

I just thought I would bring this up and see if anyone has had similar experiences. When two of the famed 88's have trouble knocking out a single exposed and stationary T-34, something just doesn't seem right. :?

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:40 pm

I have to agree. None of the ATGs seem to be as accurate as historical references suggest thay were. On the other hand, there would be little point in playing as the allies if your assaulting tanks were going to be knocked out in the first couple of minutes of the game by a couple of unspotted 88s.

It is worth noting that ATGs can become less accurate against crossing targets at the shorter ranges found in Firefight simply because the guns have to traverse more to stay on-target. However, this relatively minor consideration doesn't explain how Firefight ATGs historically accurate out to a mile consistently miss stationary targets at 1/3rd that distance.

In the end, I tend to regard Firefight as a primarily infantry game with the tanks and AFVs along only in a supporting role. Certainly, in terms of accurate simulation, the infantry side of the game seems to be modelled much better than the AFV/ATG side.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

StateRoute170

Post by StateRoute170 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:32 am

In real life 2 88S WOULDVE waste that T34.But like Andy Brown said,it would be stupid for your tanks to be destroyed in the first 5 min.It would just ruin gameplay.