Suggestion re: "find the annoying ship" missions

Command a squadron of spaceships
Im1985

Suggestion re: "find the annoying ship" missions

Post by Im1985 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Okay, we've all been there. Rock up at a sector, destroy the enemy squadrons, and then spend 20 minutes looking for a coloniser that you're sure is still around but just can't find!

It's not fun, and I'm sure flying around in space doing nothing isn't what Sean envisaged the fun of the game to be. So how about once you get to that stage where there are no offensive ships left in the sector, the game gives you an option to get some kind of chance (1/2, perhaps?) to just win or lose the mission without having to faff about?

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 am

Eh, I dunno. I mean, it may not be all that fun, but otherwise what's the point of those "Destroy the ____" missions if you don't actually have to destroy it?
My webcomic:

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:26 pm

The missions were deliberately made to have variety and difficulty. I designed the colonizer, Sean turned it into a mission. The unique combination of ship elements including cloaks is what makes the mission tough. While I agree that searching for a missing colonizer is not fun, it is intentional.

Fusion

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 am

Get more radar ships in your squadron. Plus if no fighting goes on long enough the mission automatically ends.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:07 am

But that counts as a loss, so you might want to avoid that. If you just fire missiles occasionally and wait for long enough the colonizer usually flies off the edge of the screen, resulting in a win.
My webcomic:

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:54 am

I agree with pedros, balancing ship components and squad choices is part of the long term fun. If you have a ship that mops up enemy combat craft but can't get the job done that command has set then perhaps it isn't as 'ultimate' as you believe.