New Conquest map editor [with corrected link]

A boardgame of world domination
bcbusler

New Conquest map editor [with corrected link]

Post by bcbusler » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 pm

I have created a map editor called Conquest Map Maker (CMM). It has all of the core features you would expect for creating new maps and editing existing ones, plus it has these more interesting functions:
  • Scan a map image for unused areas and automatically generate territories in them
  • Analyze a map image and automatically connect bordering territories (or find errors with existing border connections)
  • Resize maps
  • Rename all territories based on their continent names (e.g. "Asia 1", "Asia 2", etc.)
  • Center selected territories within their borders (weighted average position)
By using the territory generator and the border analyzer, you can dramatically cut down the time it takes to create a Conquest map from an image file. It's also good for finding mistakes in already created maps. While making and testing the analyzer, I found border connection mistakes in a number of the maps available for download.

You need a recent version of the Java runtime installed to use CMM. Java can be downloaded at http://www.java.com and is very easy to install. CMM itself is a single file (cmm.jar) and requires no installation. Once you have Java installed, you can run cmm.jar like any other executable--double click on it from an Explorer window, create shortcuts to it, run it from the command line, etc. It will create a configuration file and a log file in the directory you run it from.

I created the first version of CMM about five years ago to learn more about making Java user interfaces. A few weeks ago I decided to tinker with some of the newer language features in Java, dusted off the CMM project, and version 2.0 was born! This is beta software; email me at bcbpobox-cmm@yahoo.com if you find a bug.

You can download CMM from the link at the bottom of the page here: http://bcbusler.tripod.com.

Blaine Busler
Last edited by bcbusler on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

bcbusler

13 maps

Post by bcbusler » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:59 am

Oh, I also posted a zip file of 13 maps I made with CMM. You can download them from the link at the bottom of the page here: http://bcbusler.tripod.com.
Last edited by bcbusler on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks Blaine and I'll take a look!

jftsang

Post by jftsang » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm

linky no work

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:28 pm

i'll second that ...linky no worky..
if you run..you'll only die tired

bcbusler

Sorry - link fixed

Post by bcbusler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

Sorry folks, the direct links worked at first, but it looks like Tripod blocked them after a day or so. I suppose they don't like the idea of bypassing their ads... That's what I get for using a 10 minute solution for a file hosting site. :)

Anyway, you can download both the CMM editor and the map file archive by going to the main site first and using the download links from there: http://bcbusler.tripod.com.

I'll go back now and correct the links in my previous posts too.

-Blaine

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:27 pm

this looks like a neat program you have made.

one thing:

for the auto generate of territories i am having a hard time
eye balling the EXACT color for it to generate terr. on unless
its ALL white...

is there a way we could click on the image to tell it
which color we want it match too for the generation
rather then trying to guess which one matches?

wally
if you run..you'll only die tired

bcbusler

Post by bcbusler » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:58 am

sid6.7 wrote:is there a way we could click on the image to tell it
which color we want it match too for the generation
rather then trying to guess which one matches?

wally

It's not fully automated, but you don't need to eyeball it: if you hold down the control key and move the mouse over the map, the color at the mouse location is displayed (in RGB numbers) in the status bar at the bottom. When you run the territory generator, click on the color selector, go to the RGB tab, and enter the numbers you saw in the status bar.

On a related note, if you control-shift-click on a map point, it uses the color at that location for the bridge color (the color of the lines that the map border analyzer follows to connect bordering islands together - red by default). I did not put in a similar color-reading function for the territory generator because I figured most of the time the background would be white, but it would be simple to add. I'll put that on the todo list.