[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Wish List

Wish List

Real time World War II combat simulation

Postby pedroski » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:19 pm

pedroski

oh

Postby Fultron » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Fultron

Postby Knut » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello, just bought the game and find it an excellent play. I thought I'd give my early ideas for improvements.

I'd like to see terrain that is impassable to tanks. I'm talking about very steep hills and constructed features such as Dragon's Teeth. This would provide plenty of options to reduce the power of tanks on the battlefield.

Bunkers. Three sizes - MG, light anti-tank, and heavy (88). The graphics would be easy - grey square (brown striped for logs in the pacific?), and the model could be copied directly from the armor, with just the movement cancelled and armor upgraded.

I'd also like to see the defender AI cover the flanks better, or at least put the objective occasionally to one corner to prevent the obvious double flanking attack.

A couple scenarios that I think would provide new tactical challenges:

1. Break the line scenario. The terrain and objectives would be basically the same, but there would be added on fortifications for the defense, such as bunkers, and dragons teeth anti-tank obstacles. These would be strewn from one side of the map to the other in an interlocking support pattern, so that they couldn't be easily flanked, and so you had to use a combined force of armor and infantry to break through. You could replicate fighting the Maginot line in '40, or the Siegfried line in '45, or the Gothic line in Italy in '44, or the various island battles in the pacific.

2. Take the hill scenario. This would consist of having a large hill/mountain (taking up 1/5+ of the screen?) of perhaps 80-100+ meters in height that would prove a great challenge to take. The defender should be able to see most of the battlefield from the heights, and much of the mountain should be impassable (too steep) to tanks. You could do everything from Iwo Jima to Monte Cassino scenarios with bunkers, or others without.

The only real 'problem' I've had so far is the tendencies for tanks to "shut down" under fire. I had a case where 3 widely spaced tanks all froze up when confronted by ATGs, and they didn't withdraw and wouldn't respond to my orders to withdraw. I can see the point of freezing up under fire, but I think the length of time they do can be excessive, and think they should still be able to withdraw by reversing at least most of the time.
Knut

Postby Knut » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Oh, and I'd like to see some Russian assault guns, like the Su-85 and SU-100 and SU-122 based on the T-34 chassis, the ISU-152 on the JS-2 chassis, and the SU-76 on the T-70 chassis. It would give a lot of different looks to the Soviet forces, and I'd especially like to see what those big shells from the 100mm, 122mm, and 152mm guns would do.
Knut

Good Ideas

Postby JeanBoule » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:13 am

Yeah, some good ideas there Knut.

In all my plays of the game, there does not seem to be any such thing as impassable terrain for vehicles, let alone infantry.

Old infanteers like myself pride ourselves on our attitude that nothing is impassable, but we do recognize that some places are very, very, difficult.

And that there are some places the tanks cannot come with us, so we hafta manage without.

About Russian Assault guns, you should be able to do this yourself, I have not done it but Sean acknowledged in a fairly recent post that many vehicles in the game were player contributions.

cheers.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby T2K » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:10 pm

T2K

Postby Andy Brown » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Andy Brown

Postby T2K » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am

T2K

Postby Knut » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Knut

Swamps and anti-tank measures

Postby JeanBoule » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:18 am

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Max Power » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:23 pm

maybe someone can make a few new units or sounds and send them to Sean for the next version of Firefight ?!?
Max Power

Postby T2K » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 am

T2K

Postby wst50 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 pm

wst50

Postby JeanBoule » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 am

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby T2K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:08 am

T2K

PreviousNext

Return to Firefight