Programmable AI: Is it a ludicrous feature proposal?

A boardgame of world domination
billybob

Programmable AI: Is it a ludicrous feature proposal?

Post by billybob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 pm

Having spent (wasted... :? well, I say happily spent - but my wife does not seem to appreciate why conquering the world is more important than doing the washing up) so much time playing conquest I (like some others I notice from the forums) have a few critisms of the AI. e.g. The way when one player reaches that point where they are 'all powerfull' the remaining AI players persist with bickering with each other and you - rather then thinking about ganging up against player that is almost certain to win - rearranging chairs on the Titanic as they say.

Rather then taking the small solution approach to this and asking Mr O'Connor to fiddle with the AI such that it takes account of this kind of situation, I wondered whether it would be possible to have a way of plugging in AI modules such that a user can create (i.e. code) their own AI. So in the same way that we have had some great maps created, we could have some great new takes on the AI side of things.

Working as a software developer and having some maths backgroud, the challenge of coming up with an AI anywhere near as good as Sean's is really intriguing/appealing - although I think it would quickly become apparrant how bloody difficult it would be! I also expect for every good AI module created there might be many more duff ones...

Just a thought...

stub

Post by stub » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:57 am

Fantastic!

Perhaps someone could create a bot so good that it couldn't be beaten!

I'd love to do this if I had any coding knowledge, but nyet...

BoxZone_Author

Plug in AI

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:07 am

Sean would either have to permit the programmer of the AI to write totally unvetted code (that could contain a Virus or other nasty) which no-doubt people would blame Sean for (even though he didn't write the plug in - AI)
OR
Sean would have to write an interpreter for a (special) language that the programmers would have to (learn and) use to write their AI. This language would either be a mamoth task for Sean to write or so restrictve that it would probably produce crippled AIs at best.

10 out of 10 for 'nice idea' but a -11 for 'practical implementability'.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:25 am

Yes, you're absolutely right. I just don't have the spare time to take on something like that.

billybob

Post by billybob » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks for the responses... Yes, I can see that there would be some monkeys out there that would use it as an opportunity to do something nasty... <sigh>