[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Very enthusiastic Mortar teams

Very enthusiastic Mortar teams

Real time World War II combat simulation

Very enthusiastic Mortar teams

Postby JeanBoule » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 am

I have fought a few battles using teams of three light mortars, as described before, to make aiming more efficient and concentrations of fire more effective.

As also described, they shoot off their ammo a bit fast.

I found myself at the end-game phase with most of my rifle sections bogged down, casualties high, ammo low, no artillery left, no mortar rounds left. In other words, situation normal.

I had one section left with about 5 unwounded soldiers. How to support them in the final attack???

I remembered Andy pointing out that with the same amount of firepower, if you have more soldiers , they seem to do better. This is because the enemy has more targets to engage, thus there will not be the same intensity of defensive fire onto your troops.

So with the sort of ruthless disregard for human life that one can use when playing a computer game, I ordered the two mortar sections (each of six men) to attack the enemy. Remember they have no weapons!! Thus I had a three-pronged attack, and left a path for the enemy to withdraw from the objective. Only a couple used it but.

I eventually won. Err. . . that is . . we won!

The unarmed mortar crews actually pressed on more closely than the rifle section, and lost half their number dead and wounded.

Maybe they were feeling guilty about all those other games when they took no further part after expending all their ammo. I am too modest to believe it was my inspiring leadership.

I commend their devotion to the Mission.

cheers
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Legacy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:04 pm

I've found myself in similar situations. I once ended up in dire straits as the Japanese, the enemy well entrenched in a field around a farm. Taking advantage of their blind spot in the defilade beyond the high ground, I maneuvered my last reserve squad, all with at least some ammunition and only one wounded from stray fire on their position at the rear, behind their position, then launched a simultaneous attack with two mortar crews, assorted tank crew survivors, and the mostly depleted remnants of my remaining squads of infantry, who had fought their way north at the tip of the spear. Meanwhile, I took to the hills to the east of the flats, so I could draw fire and command the fight better. Every man in my HQ squad was wounded, two severely, and nearly every man in my distraction from the south was bloodied, but my attack to their rear did the trick.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

secondary weapons

Postby Knut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:53 pm

I've used my mortar guys as cannon fodder a few times, and have now given all mortar and Bazooka/panzerfaust/panzerschreck/piat guys a couple grenades so they can at least defend themselves if necessary, as well as making the game somewhat more realistic since there are very few men that will engage enemy mgs unarmed.

Pretty cool seeing your your mortarmen launch a fusillade of grenades while being nearly overrun by enemy infantry after they're out of shells!
Knut

Postby T2K » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 am

I really need to get into these unit mods. The uselessness of the mortar and AT weapon guys after they shoot their ammo is frustrating since, being a in a combat area, they would all have firearms in reality.
T2K

Postby Knut » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:27 pm

I really wish more of a provision was made for secondary weapons, besides grenades. These could be firearms for mortarmen, bazookamen etc, or even teller mines or satchel charges as anti-tank weapons instead of grenades for regular infantry.

I know tankers and artillerymen have secondary weapons which only pop up for use after their vehicle is destroyed, so shouldn't it be possible for other troops?
Knut

Return to Firefight