[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Best game ever? What else should I try?

Best game ever? What else should I try?

Real time World War II combat simulation

Best game ever? What else should I try?

Postby JeanBoule » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:01 am

Hi there FireFighters,
Long time no contribution from me. I have been nudged by a TV show. I was watching "Futurama" the other night and it had a little tribute to some electronic games of the past. Do you remember the early Atari tank games and Asteroids? Asteroids had a tiny little spacecraft represented by a triangle with an even tinier set of pulsing triangles that were the rocket exhaust. The asteroids were just irreguler polygons which, when hit, broke up into a cluster of little twigs. This brought to me with a rush what is so good about Firefight. It has a meaningful amount of detail and NO MORE!!

In contrast, one of the first PC games I ever bought was an Asteroids knockoff, in which someone showed their mastery of graphics programming by having asteroids with craters on them, shading, shadows, rivets on the spacecraft etc. The problem was that to show all this detail, all the objects had to be a lot larger in relation to the playing area than in the original arcade game. This increased the level of difficulty to make the game almost unplayable, especially for slow guys like me.

I have been doing a bit of reseach on other games to play, and have seen Close Combat described favourably on a few sites. I have seen a few screen shots and . . . it seems to have that simiar problem of excessive detail, consequently objects are way out of scale. Opponents on the Russian steppe look like they are 20 metres apart when they should be 500 metres apart, if not more.

It appears that FF is about the best game I have ever played so far. What else should I try?
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Re: Best game ever? What else should I try?

Postby Andy Brown » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:47 am

Andy Brown

Postby T2K » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 am

T2K

Anyone tried Theatre of War?

Postby JeanBoule » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:32 pm

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Andy Brown » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:02 am

Andy Brown

Postby T2K » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:57 am

T2K