Best Defence Victory is Won by being the agressor

Real time World War II combat simulation
Garnier

Post by Garnier » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Flamethrowers in the Pacific were like suicide bombers or kamikazes :?

I just won best strategic attack. First, I sent one squad of German infantry around to the enemy rear, losing 4 out of 12 of them to artillery fire.

Then, slowly bringing up my infantry, I cleared out an enemy FG. Next I took out their tank losing one of mine, and then I charged the objective with my last tank, and they're troops came crawling out from everywhere like an ants nest, I captured a dozen of them and the rest either fled or were mown down. I never had seen such an awesome slaughter.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Flamethrower morale should reflect the grizzly nature of their death... they come under fire they should break almost immediately.

Big Red One

Re: Defence must attack to win

Post by Big Red One » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

Laserblitz wrote:In the offense it might not be too useful, the marines on Iwo Jima had a saying that a Flamethrower's life span was measured in seconds, one round or piece of scrapnel and the whole thing blew up. Nobody stood too close the the flamethrower guy.

Flamethrowers didnt blow up when the pack was shot just watch the program on the military channel that tells WWII MOH recipients stories

It says a story of a flamethrower guy and he dove to take cover from a jap. pillbox and the gun couldnt hit him but it could hit his pack and the gunner shot hoping to hit him and it hit his pack causing only a dent

Germany_Fan

Post by Germany_Fan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Andy wrote:germans defending village against russians 11.8.1944

time taken 23 minutes!

Stats (mine/theirs)

killed 5/51
wounded 5/1
captured 1/26
tanks lost 0/3

survived 78/4

rating: superb
massive losses, major attack

:shock:

left a panzerschreck outfront, had HQ just behind my lines fire 3-4 rounds forward, then retreat. this made the tanks rumble forward before infantry got there and straight at the PS, which took all three out with three shots. then shot at ad got shot up by some infantry, causing the loader to be severely injured thus surrendering when enemy infantry got there.

on the right flank, lane with hedges concealed 2 squads of volks grenadiers (1 LMG, 3 SMG) with another behind in reserve in a forest. as no infantry came quickly, sent the reserves lot round the flank through a wood and village on the edge of the map, they managed to get up to a 1-2 o' clock position on infantry advancing, which got stopped by LMGs of the two squads at 8 and 6 o' clock, and then some mortar to hold them in place whilst arty came in, 2 salvos, the moment the second was coming put some smoke up at the 11 o'clock position, sent in the 1 squad, and the 6 squad, the entire advancing section killed :lol:
i had also brought up a volks grenadier squad i had on the objective (2 LMG, 3 SMG), using them for covering fire

the flanking squad then headed up north and killedand captured their mortar, who had killed one of my guys in the previous manouvre.

tried a similar flank on the left, all in forest, but two guys got themselves dead from an MG somewhere close, mortars kept their heads down whilst the covering fire squad from before worked its way across the field helping the other 3 front line squads in turn to advance. then the MG and surrounding 8ish ruskies decided to surrender when a panzerfaust with no ammo went on a wander near them.

then did a big surrounding thing, lots of surrendering, didnt notice the two there guys die, but nice to get a superb in defence after only 25 minutes :lol:

Is that Targul Frumos or something?
I know not what World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. Albert Einstein, on the nuclear bomb.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:08 pm

If you were trying to fit it into a context then its something about a month after that.

However firefight generalises operations to decide, roughly monthly, who was the more aggressive of the two nations involved. so if you look into the scripting of it youll probably find the vast majority of the german operations are defensive from the mid war onwards.
________
Gsx1100S
Last edited by Andy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StateRoute170

Post by StateRoute170 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:28 pm

this BS,i mean come on,if there were different country AI(I said this in another forum),you wouldnt have this problem

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:41 pm

How is that 'BS'? The system certainly isn't perfect, but it works quite alright. The most obvious improvement would be to use a finer time scale like weeks, but that would require a lot of research and also yet another batch of judgement to assess the 'overall situation'. But I think it would be rather odd to have the German army advancing in spring of 1945...

StateRoute170

Post by StateRoute170 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:49 pm

touche,yea your right,the Germans wouldnt be advancing but what if it was counter attack?

Knut

Post by Knut » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 am

StateRoute170 wrote:touche,yea your right,the Germans wouldnt be advancing but what if it was counter attack?

True, in the company-sized actions this game represents, local counter attacks by the germans would be occuring right to the end. As well as german "breakout" scenarios which happened all the time after the big Soviet offenses. Same goes for Soviet local attacks during Barbarossa, or French in 1940, etc.

Anyway, its simple enough to play those scenarios in the custom settings for individual games, if not for campaigns.

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:40 pm

originally it was one per week, but after 70 missions as british and still being in the desert (no features back then) most of us got quite bored and it all got changed
________
buy marijuana seeds
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

StateRoute170

Post by StateRoute170 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 pm

About defense games,on firefight and SPWAW,once the enemy attack has faltered,then you advance in a so called ''counter attack'' to finish off the enemy and win the map.So I guess you would win a defense game by counter attaking at the end.Thats what he must mean.