Ship design concepts or Guide

Command a squadron of spaceships
pochrist

Ship design concepts or Guide

Post by pochrist » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:28 pm

I've been playing this game since 95' or so (not every day) I've made a number of custom ships but still I'm left wondering if I wasted credits on certain components - I read through a number posts and applied the multiple Command centers to my ships, but I wonder:

How many Repair bots do I need? 1 in each quadrant? or 1 for the whole ship? and How fast are they supposed carry out repairs, ie how turns before I see things get fixed?

How many stealth modules, are more going to make me "more stealthy"

As well as Radar units, how many do I really need?

I struggle with a lack of funds through most early missions and I'm trying to make a Fast, manuverable ship that can last till I get more credits.

I read someone talking about "...After you pass 170 missions..." 170 :!:
I can't get past 18 :shock:

StateRoute170

Post by StateRoute170 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:32 am

ive only played the demo,but i can tell you that there are not 170 missions.any way,cosidering that they are graphics from a decade ago, sean could put alot of missions only takin up only a few KB.So, its plausible... :wink:

pochrist

Post by pochrist » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 am

I know there are not that many, they just repeat get harder.
I'd just like to live through them long enought to use some of my better ships.

Bardash Blackridge

Post by Bardash Blackridge » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:36 pm

How many Repair bots do I need? 1 in each quadrant? or 1 for the whole ship? and How fast are they supposed carry out repairs, ie how turns before I see things get fixed?

The max amount of functioning repair bots a ship can have is four and they can be placed anywhere on the ship. Each turn, I believe they have a ten percent chance to repair something. Sometimes I have had my bots repair my components almost immediately, but other times, they seemed to be on coffe break and could care less about my damaged ship.

How many stealth modules, are more going to make me "more stealthy"

In my opinion, 8-12 stealth modules is a good starting point. I prefer 11.

As well as Radar units, how many do I really need?

Radar units only function on the side that they are placed. If you can, it is a good idea to have two to four radar units on the left, right, and front sides. Some people like to have radar on the back, but I prefer not to since I am usually the one tailing the enemy ships. Having radar on the back is a matter of flight preference. I suppose if you like to be in the middle of the battle, it would be a good idea to have radar on the back.

I struggle with a lack of funds through most early missions and I'm trying to make a Fast, manuverable ship that can last till I get more credits.

I would like to suggest several sites you can visit to see how other people designed their ships.

http://www.geocities.com/rypat99/index.html
These are my custom ships. The ship that helped me get to my 170th mission was the Vashnin.

http://www.btinternet.com/~boxzone/Othe ... l_Mass.htm
There are a lot of fine ships here that may serve as inspiration in your custom designs.

http://www.geocities.com/fighter_ace_bo ... _share.htm
This site has loads of ships to look at and they serve as good reference for ship design.

I hope this information helps you!!
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. ---H. P. Lovecraft

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Repair bots have a certain chance of replacing one component per turn. The more repair bots you have, the higher the chance is. But I seem to recall that more than four aren't quite worth anything anymore. It doesn't matter where in your ship you place them.

Well, Stealth and Radar are quite a different story. The more the better, obviously. Radar will increase your view range in the direction it's poiting, so radar on the starboard side will detect ships on your starboard side. I personally like to have at least one radar on each side and about three of them up front. I hardly ever install stealth, but I think they work isotropic. Obviously that's very dependant on your tactics and what mission your ship is supposed to fulfil. A ship-to-ship fighter should have sufficient visibility to all sides so you won't loose your enemy when manoeuvering, a 'bomber' type usually suffices with good forward vision...
To answer your question: if you have the feeling you always lose contact you need more radar than you had. If you seem to be the all-seeing-eye itself you might decide to save a bit on those.

Unfortunately I don't have my old designs anymore, but I used to have a very affordable fighter ship featureing four front radars, two to each side and more than decent agility for about 100 Credits. I saved expenses by not fitting any shields at all... it worked quite alright.

endoedgar

Stealth Units

Post by endoedgar » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm

I like to have two stealth units on rear of the ship. Thats cheap but useful sometimes...

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am

it actually doesn't matter where you place stealth, in case you didn't know. it works for the whole ship on all sides. also, iirc, 4 stealth will reduce the distance a ship can detect you by half. i guess you can use that as a starting point. also, the more stealth or radar (radar in particular) you have, the less of an effect each additional one will have.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)