[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Enemy AI variations?

Enemy AI variations?

Real time World War II combat simulation

Enemy AI variations?

Postby Knut » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Knut

Postby JeanBoule » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:52 am

So far as I can see the AI does not change between nationalities or at least not much. I can't tell if it is different later in the war. My guess is it behaves differently because the weapons are different.

Reserve Units. When I look at the stricken field after a battle, I do not see any blobs that look particularly like discrete units, but then my own troops don't stay in very good formation either. To anyone else they would just look like many individuals.

The AI seems to re-deploy units, or rather troops, towards my attacking troops and this, with a bit of a surge towards the end of the game, is what constitutes a counter-attack. I don't seem to have to prepare for it in any special way.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:46 pm

StateRoute170

Postby TheKangaroo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:24 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 pm

StateRoute170

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:31 pm

and why exactly are us brits better at defence than attack???
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby StateRoute170 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

StateRoute170

Postby TheKangaroo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:56 pm

TheKangaroo

National characteristics in the AI.

Postby JeanBoule » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:24 am

To reply to StateRoute170 first, this is a very genteel forum. Your view of history is a bit on the simple side, which is natural considering your age. As has been pointed out no matter what the general strategic situation, some units will be required to do something different, that is, attack when the rest of their army is withdrawing, or defending when others are attacking. When a campaign is played, the situations reflect the strategic situation of the period of the war, so in 1945, germans will be defending. Historically, the germans were carrying out quite large-scale offensives only weeks before the end of the war. I don't play campaigns anymore for this very reason. I may give it another go some time.

To reply to Andy, there is no reason why brits are better at defence. It is simply prejudice perpetuated in lots of books movies etc that certain nationalities have certain characteristics which caused certain military outcomes. If FireFight tries to reflect this, the Italian soldiers will have to flee at the first shot in every battle. I have done a skim thru the membership list, but it is not in country order, and so I dont know how many Italian members we have, but if I were one I would be insulted by the idea.

That said, I would like to see what would happen if the AI used a mass rush by infantry against my firepower, with most of their men up and visible, or what would happen if I could try to rush theirs in the same way. As it is my soldiers will only advance in formation, at any speed, against NO opposition. If so much as a shot is fired at them they go to ground and start creeping, often creeping around opposition rather than clearing it out.

So I conclude that what TheKangaroo suggested is good. Strategy packs with enemy characteristics varying and randomized.

But there are a fair few weaknesses to be worked on first.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:32 am

OK,why are you doggin me out about only the british?You f*ckheads seem to agree with me about the russians(Soviets in that time) and Germans.You must think you are all that and a bag chips Kangaroo(Germans always seemed to think they were better than everyone else and sense the your profile location is germany i am not surprised).Yea you know you think you are all that Kangaroo.Dont Lie. :wink:

Oh,oh,dont even get me started with Jeanboule,Jeanboule needs to mind his own business and stay out arguements between me and Kangaroo because after this post,im goin talk about him like a dog if kangaroo has the nerve to reply. 8)

P.S.-Kangaroo,ive always had a problem with you and im puttin my foot down.
StateRoute170

Postby TheKangaroo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Alright...
First, I'd like you to take note that I don't consider myself better than anybody else. I admit, though, that I do believe that I know a lot more about history than you do with plenty of space in the sky, means there's more than a few people around here, who - I'm convinced - are more proficient in that matter than I'll ever be. So logic kind of dictates, if they know better than me and I knew better than you, they'd sure know better than you. I agree, though, that there's some judgement involved you probably won't agree with.
Second, this is not a private discussion but a forum. JeanBoule has all rights to contribute, especially in a productive manner and considering I myself actually cut into an argument you were about to spark with Andy in the first place.
Third, I'm a bit concerned about how you might be treating dogs, for you use that as kind of a threat and I don't have any understanding for people mistreating their pets, but I figure that's way off topic here anyway.
And finally you really should cool it a bit. I remember quite a couple of instances on these forums I've become rather rude and said a few inappropriate things, too, for different reasons, but thankfully people set me straight. So you don't like me, alright. Can we just get along somewhat peacefully anyway?
TheKangaroo

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby StateRoute170 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:18 pm

StateRoute170

Postby TheKangaroo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:51 pm

TheKangaroo

Next

Return to Firefight