Impossible Mission? Certainly asking a lot.

Real time World War II combat simulation
JeanBoule

Impossible Mission? Certainly asking a lot.

Post by JeanBoule » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:08 am

I was testing some radical changes I made to FF units. I was trying to make something like a WWI situ where only British have tanks, Germans have only rifles and MGs. I was trying defense. I was given this situaton, 2626358, where the point to be defended is forward of the allowable deployment zone. The first time I played, I was British. The game was lost in 1 minute, no losses to either side and I was accused of extreme cowardice! I decided to try again. I changed sides.
Here is the Mission spec: 2626358 defend, inf n tanx, avg ,jul 40 ,lowlands, france, you=Br, En=ger.

I had to send troops straight to the farm, and had three MG squads in sp.
Here the troops, already under fire, are trying to get to the defence objective. Only 1 or 2 got into the farm.
7:34 inf are surendn
8: arty
9m en on ash hil to SSE
14 OC kia
15 all HQ kia
16:30 en appeared to be retreating! I built my hopes up a bit.

AAR own tps 17kia,6wia,3pow,6survived en 22kia,6wia,162survived.
My inf only killed 2 en! All my cas were from small-arms fire.
Voila du boudin!

JeanBoule

Screenshots

Post by JeanBoule » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:53 am

You can see some screenshots here.

http://firefi.wikispaces.com/Impossible+Mission%3F

You can leave comments on the Wiki.

I have tried it a couple more times. It is quite a challenge.

cheers.
Voila du boudin!

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:38 am

Amazing map. Must try it. Good job with the screenshots.

32 v 190 doesn't seem very fair, though, especially with the objective on the enemy half of the map !! I'd say you did well to last 19 minutes.

Andy Brown

Knut

Post by Knut » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:26 am

Hi Jean,

I beat your map on my second try!

At the start, I fired aimed arty and dropped mortar shells just north of obj to keep enemy off it until my forces arrived.

Moved mg team to top of Ash Hill for supp. fire.

Ordered 2 squads & recon unit to obj from ctr & right.

Ordered 1 squad on left to engage town on left side. This unit was sacrificed to keep the enemy busy while I secured obj.

I then just held on and fired arty & mortar & MG at hillside NW of obj to keep the enemy off while they proceeded to push through my lefthand squad and move around and come up from the south. It was all over by 40 minutes, though the game ran for the full 2 hours as I would not move any of my units off obj to engage the enemy as they were too low on ammo.

I took a screenshot of the end screen - if you want to see it I can email it to you.

Btw, nice wiki!

JeanBoule

It's Done!

Post by JeanBoule » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 am

Thanks, Knut.
Knut wrote:Hi Jean,

I beat your map on my second try! . . . . .I took a screenshot of the end screen - if you want to see it I can email it to you.

Btw, nice wiki!

I hereby award you a Marcel.

"If it's possible, it's done, If it's impossible, we'll get it done!" quote Col Marcel Bigeard, legendary para of Indo-China and Algeria conflicts.

I noticed all that activity on the left in my games and thought it must be important. I used MGs for quick suppressive fire onto that hill, while waiting for the arty to come in.

Please email (see profile) the screenshot and I will set you as a contributor to the wiki if you wish.

cheers
Voila du boudin!

Knut

Post by Knut » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:45 pm

I sent you the cap. Looking at your squads, they are strange - you have multiple HMG teams in each? Are you representing a company's heavy weapons platoon? Also, I just noticed that I played it as the german instead of British. I used a standard assortment of units: 3 inf squads, 1 light mortar, 1 HMG, 1 recon.

Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Nice job Knut,Although you beat it using the germans than the british.Jeanboule was trying to beat it as the british side,can you help him on that?

Knut

Post by Knut » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 pm

Just played 2 games as the British. Lost the first, won the second. Used the same line up and tactics as when I played the Germans, but shose 2 mortars instead of the HMG in the second game.

It's the same kinda deal, though, in that you have top let the game run the full 2 hrs to get the victory, as the enemy troops just mill about to the south for a long time, never really making a puch for the obj after the 30 minute mark.

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 am

Knut wrote: you have multiple HMG teams in each? Are you representing a company's heavy weapons platoon? ]

Yes . I was developing a sort of world war one scenario, where brits have tanks, germans only rifles and HMGs.
I will be changing back to WW2 to try it more.

Also, I just noticed that I played it as the german instead of British. I used a standard assortment of units: 3 inf squads, 1 light mortar, 1 HMG, 1 recon.

I used much the same force structure.

I have tried both british and german, and had no success. Objective captured is announced after 30seconds, long before arty gets a ranging round off.

I have even had 3 mortars firing close around the farm, fire mission given during setup, so their rounds are in the air as soon as I press Game Start.

Game is over in about 7 mins every time.

I think I'll leave this alone for a while.

cheers.
Voila du boudin!

Knut

Post by Knut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Don't give up now! I'd hope someone else can beat it. I only won 50% of my games. I think the AI sets up their infantry slightly differently each time; I noticed the enemy troops coming heaviest from different directions - village on the left, hill in center, woods to right - in different games. The times I won they seemed to be heaviest on the left, and seemed to draw down to my diversionary squad there instead of cutting directly to the obj. I've often noticed that one AI tendancy to go towards resistance rather than always straight towards the obj, which I like and adds a bit of additional realism.

Did you get my screenshots?

JeanBoule

ce n'est pas impossible!

Post by JeanBoule » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 am

Thanks Knut for the pep message. I must keep that earlier 19 minute survival in mind. I did notice that on different runs there seemed to be more from the left thru the village, or from the right thru the wood.

Thanks for the screen-shots they will probably end up on the wiki.

cheers
Voila du boudin!

T2K

Post by T2K » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:34 am

Wow! That is a hard map. The objective was in enemy hands within 30 seconds of game start. I had a Bren carrier, they had two SdKfz 251 and a one of those scout cars with a 20mm gun. So, we got overrun pretty quickly.

However, did you mean "infantry only" instead of "infantry and tanks"?

With tanks, you just rush the objective. With infantry only, you have to put more thought into it.

Edit - On infantry only they have about 115 guys. Buying only squads, I could afford less than 60.

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:45 am

T2K wrote:However, did you mean "infantry only" instead of "infantry and tanks"?

On infantry only they have about 115 guys. Buying only squads, I could afford less than 60.

Sorry I did not make that completely clear. In order to model WW1, I removed all the german tank files from the Firefight tank folder. That means that even if I specify inf & tanks, the germans can only have infantry. When I played the british, I only chose infantry.

I havn't tried it with tanks yet.

I am not sure what happens when I choose inf & tanks. The AI seems to choose not to have tanks sometimes. I choose not to if its forests or hills, I often use hollow charge wpns to defend with.

When its inf&tanks I seem to get more points to spend, than if it's only inf.

cheers.
Voila du boudin!

T2K

Post by T2K » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:22 am

I played it exactly as you described (inf and tanks, Jul 1940, etc) and the Germans hade two half-tracks and one of those 8-wheeled scout cars with a a 20mm. So, three vehicles. I had only a Bren gun carrier which got knocked out by the 20mm. Hopeless.

I played it again on the same one and bought a Matilda! I won, but only by parking it on the objective and waiting the fulll two hours. It knocked out the German vehicles, obviously. EVERY infantryman was killed or surrendered. Luckily, if your HQ group surrenders, the game goes on.

That is indeed "mission impossible".