Ejecting

Command a squadron of spaceships
jftsang

Ejecting

Post by jftsang » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Would be much more realistic if each command point had its own escape pod, no?

So say I had four command points on my ship. Two of them are destroyed. I eject. I should produce two escape pods, not one.

Or, maybe a shuttle instead of an escape pod. You get to choose which one to use. A shuttle you can steer, but will be locked on to by missiles. An escape pod cannot be steered or locked on to.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:00 pm

But if you had two escape pods, which one would your pilot be in? One of them might get destroyed so figuring out whether ot not your pilot died would become tricky.

jftsang

Post by jftsang » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Well, with how it stands, it's a bit confusing anyway. If you have several command points, presumably you're in one of them. So how come if all but one of them take direct hits and are destroyed, you happen to be in the undestroyed one?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:05 pm

I see what you mean. But one can (and I always did) cover that up by argueing that a command center doesn't necessarily have to be a cockpit. Having multiple cockpits to steer one vehicle would be rather odd anyhow, so I always thought of the centers as electronics, computers, vital instruments and life support systems.

jftsang

Post by jftsang » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Well, are you therefore saying that you, the pilot, and whatever crew there is, if any, are in, as it were, the middle?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Something along those lines, yes.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:20 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:I see what you mean. But one can (and I always did) cover that up by argueing that a command center doesn't necessarily have to be a cockpit. Having multiple cockpits to steer one vehicle would be rather odd anyhow, so I always thought of the centers as electronics, computers, vital instruments and life support systems.

If that's the case, then do you take one of them with you into the escape pod when you eject?

Or are the escape pods built into the command centers, and you run to them when you decide to escape?
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been here for a while.
If that's the case, then do you take one of them with you into the escape pod when you eject?

Or are the escape pods built into the command centers, and you run to them when you decide to escape?

In my way of thinking the escape pod wouldn't necessarily need a command center itself. While its interpretation as life support mechanism would make it logical to be included with a life pod, the cockpit could also be a pre-fabricated complete vehicle including a limited supply of oxygen that's just built into the ship and then connected to the various command centers, doubling as an escape pod.