I take loads of both
26%
Neither, If an orik can't do it, nothing can
17%

Total votes: 23

Steve!

Plectron Vs Yatari

Post by Steve! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 pm

A while ago before the final version of cmass 4 came out, the plectron had a 17mton warhead!! I was strongly opposed to this, so im quite happy that Sean toned it down a little.

So now that both missiles have very similar yields, which missile is everyon'e favourite?

Im still using the plectron a lot, mainly because i used it so often on the beta and have become quite good with it. I havnt tried the Yatari out very much in the new version, but I used to find it too slow to be much use in a dogfight, personally i think the plectron has more flexibility, great for fights in deep space or asteroid belts, useful for spraying into a crowd of enemy ship, the best for a head on collision and very effective anti static defence, though more time consuming as lining up can often be tricky and requires flying roughly straight for a turn.

Edit: Am i missing something here, when travelling at top speed and firing, missiles travel the same speed, whats their maximum thrust? They must both reach it in their first turn of acceleration.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:10 pm

It Depends what I'm up against.
If it's a static target (space station, listening post, fuel refinery etc) I like the damage power of the Plectron (Magenta).
If it's a moving target (fleet, freighter, injured ship etc) I think the homing properties of the Yatari (Cyan) overcome the smaller damage.

Yatari can still be effective against static targets as you can get behind them faster (not quite as lined up) and fire before they get to turn their good shielded side towards you.

If I only have one I tend to go for Yatari but there is certainly use for both.

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:57 am

I like the plectron the best. Its saved my rump (and killed me) more than the yatari ever will. Plectrons work like unguided rockets for me. I think they are necessary for any ship, even a fighter. It gives a fighter the ability to tango with the largest ships, and the multirole capability for attack missions. That doesnt go to say that the yatari doesnt have its place though. I find it extremely useful in situations where im being pursued by defending ships as I take out a static objective, especially turrets. I need to slap in a decisive hit form relatively long range. I cant bank on plectrons in this instance because its very hard to get and accurate acquisition before the turrets to you and fires or the bogeys behind you fire. the yatari is unmatchable in that situation.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:43 pm

I find Plectrons are much more useful. Yataris move too slow, turn too bad, and have too little fuel to be useful for anything but attacking static defenses or taking crippled ships. I mean, I've seen a Yatari get juked by an asteroid. Sheesh! Mostly I use them for taking down an ejected ship so my wingmates don't steal the kill, when Daycorns won't do it, and Plectrons take too long to line up.

Plectrons have major firepower and can easily detroy the strongest ships if you line up your shot right.
My webcomic:

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:21 pm

I agree fully with Johnson

It's a lot easier for me to use the Plectron. Unless it's a static target. What idiot doesn't use yataris for static targets.

Anyhoo, If you can on the inside of an opposing ship, and unload Plecs into them, they're as good as dead since I have Critical Mass 1.0. <- best version ever :D
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:18 am

Actually, on 1.0, Yataris are much better than in 4.0. They're almost twice as strong (17 Mtons instead of 10), and Plectrons are almost half as strong (7 or 9 Mtons instead of 13), so they're much more worth using in 1.0. Point-blanking is ridiculously powerful with them.
My webcomic:

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:32 pm

Yes, I agree in 1.0 the Yataris are best at piont blank, but if both craft are moving at full tilt, the yatarti is to slow to hit it, then you reach for the plecs.
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 am

I play 2.0 a lot (almost the same as 1.0) and yataris certainly are the best. It would seem that's why the destroyer and cruiser have them in short supply, and the raiders manouverability is limited, beacuse the weapon is so large. I think Sean toned it down because of how people could load so many on their ship (in 4.0), but I think they should still be as strong, just more expensive and weighing more.
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!

Scuffer

Post by Scuffer » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 pm

I like stealthy ships, and if you can judge the trajectory right, unloading 4 plectrons into the side of any AI will cripple or destroy them. Yatari's will try and home in - and then end up missing. Plectrons suit my playing style much better (v4).
________
3.3 engine
Last edited by Scuffer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:27 am

I agree plectrons do a great job, but for those static targets, crippled ships, and for the wonderful moments that enemy ships all run into each other and stay still for a few moments :)

Also, with the 8 or more stealth I have on my ship, I can often come around behind a ship and they rarely ever see me. Many times these ships haven't got into the engagement full-on yet, or have slowed way down in a manouver to a point where yataris make a near perfect choice.

I like yataris, but only as a supplement to daycorns and plectrons!
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!

Guanchao

Post by Guanchao » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 am

I use Plectrons almost exclusively, and therefore I rarely pilot sole bombers (Those with a balance of Plectrons and Yataris) but I do use Yataris for luck and fun; interception is what I like to do.
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:58 am

The only missiles I put on my custom ships are plecs and daycorns.
Fighters I think need plecs as much as bombers do, cause a lot of my dogfighting is done by colliding with enemy ships. This I try to do always. And then of course if you aim right and are used to predicting what the ai will do, you can often kill them just firing now and then and having your missile hit from the side, since it wont try and turn to go for the back of the enemy.

I have tried yataris, but havent found them much good, and since it costs me two shields to trade a plec set for yataris, I dont do it.

I never fly any ships but those in my one line of custom ships, that are just copied and upgraded a little to the limit of custom designs.

Also, I have started using a set of 6 custom missions, 1 for each rank, that are just dogfights between equal fleets of ships, starting at one squadron per side and going up to 10. Each squadron has a 9 out of 10 chance of being at the battle, so there is always a chance that you will have to pull out if they get more ships than you. This way I get a medal(usually OC or GC on almost every mission, get higher rank fast, and am able to get better ships a lot faster.

My ships start out with no repair bots, reasonable turn and around 30 thrust, 3 guns, and 20 missiles. The rest is spent on 20 missiles, 4-8 CCs and armor.
After a short while I add repair bots, and slowly add missiles and the extra gun. Mostly I focus on armor, as my strategy often involves charging head on into enemy ships and firing a plectron volley to kill them right away. With the CCs on the sides and rear, I can survive 3 or 4 plecs in the front even on the first mission, and then I can sit back and chase down the other enemies with my daycorns.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:41 am

Likewise, I load only Plecs and Daycorns on my ships. I use Daycorns when I'm behind an enemy, Plecs for almost everything else (I've got like 2 full rows).

When enemy ships all collide in the middle of a battle, I still prefer Plecs. I mean, they're all standing still! 4 Plectrons will almost certainly guarantee you a kill (sometimes 2 or 3 on weak ships).
My webcomic:

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:01 pm

i used to use only plections and daycorns, but lately ive added some geenees because i needed additional firepower. they work well if u know when to use them