The politicians error

Command a squadron of spaceships
Empty Hat

The politicians error

Post by Empty Hat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:28 am

Ever noticed how hard it is for the politicians shuttle to get across the map?

who puts one of their most senior politos in an essentially unshielded un stealthed slow moving shuttle which can survive maybe two missile hits at best?

I would not run for office in the CM universe.

Legacy

Re: The politicians error

Post by Legacy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:24 am

Empty Hat wrote:Ever noticed how hard it is for the politicians shuttle to get across the map?

who puts one of their most senior politos in an essentially unshielded un stealthed slow moving shuttle which can survive maybe two missile hits at best?

I would not run for office in the CM universe.

Want a safe job? Find work on a colonizer.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:29 am

:lol: yes, s/he would have a better chance riding a drone

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Empty Hat wrote::lol: yes, s/he would have a better chance riding a drone

Or, more appropriately, a Heathen.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 am

There are ducks and then there are sitting ducks.

Maybe next time around Sean will let me play with the system ships a bit. I would like to modify the shuttle as well as a few other poor designs. What about that "science station" that is not used in any missions?

Fusion

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:22 am

^ Yeah! I'd love that! A man with you're intellectuality... you'd be the perfect candidate. Hehe, you got my vote. Fusion, If you're as critical as you are when playing Slay, you're gunna make some extremely sweet missions/improvements. Muahahaha :twisted: !

@ Legacy: I got it the first time you said it. Lol.
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm

well, if one was to think logically, the politician would probably want to hyperspace out of there as soon as enemy ships ready to blast him appeared. But this would not make for a fun mission if it was heavily stealthed, moving fast, and ran away at the first sign of trouble. The point is to try and guard or try and destroy a "flag" or sorts.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Thinking logically he might as well just hyperspace to his destination without ever trying to cross a sector. The only reason he shouldn't would be if the hyperspace wasn't designed to take anybody to a destination but randomly transported a ship by a certain distance to get out of danger.

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:26 am

That would explain the need for wormholes.

Perhaps hyperspace is associated with sterility which is why it's used only as a last resort? I must admit I feel less manly after using hyperspace :)

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:28 pm

I always figured that hyperspacing, hyperspaced you BACK to a known destination (like the homeworld) and you had to fly through space to GET somewhere useful. Hence we fly about (and defend empty sectors) rather than just hyperspace everywhere.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Like a carrier pigeon. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:11 am

Perhaps our politician is in a campaign trail, leaving leaflets at space stations, putting posters up on asteroids... that kind of thing.

jftsang

Post by jftsang » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:05 pm

BoxZone_Author wrote:I always figured that hyperspacing, hyperspaced you BACK to a known destination (like the homeworld) and you had to fly through space to GET somewhere useful. Hence we fly about (and defend empty sectors) rather than just hyperspace everywhere.

First, sorry for bumping an ancient topic.

However, if this were the case, then would you care to explain why a stranded ship can't just hyperspace?

You might argue that its engines are broken, but our ships can hyperspace even if all its engines are broken.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Don't let this come as a surprise, but guess what? A stranded ship can indeed hyperspace and if you happen to damage them to a certain extent or if they manage to launch all their missiles, they will hyper leaving you holding the bag. The reason this is not noticed very often is because the damaged ship tends to get destroyed very fast most of the time and when it does hyper, you are most likely to be somewhere else avoiding getting your rear end shot off so you don't see the stranded ship leave.

DarJones

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm

jftsang wrote:
BoxZone_Author wrote:I always figured that hyperspacing, hyperspaced you BACK to a known destination (like the homeworld) and you had to fly through space to GET somewhere useful. Hence we fly about (and defend empty sectors) rather than just hyperspace everywhere.

First, sorry for bumping an ancient topic.

However, if this were the case, then would you care to explain why a stranded ship can't just hyperspace?

You might argue that its engines are broken, but our ships can hyperspace even if all its engines are broken.

The reason the ship doesn't hyperspace to begin with could be that hyperspacing with damaged engines like that could case expensive damage to the ship's power system that they would rather avoid. Or, perhaps, you just happen to be in the area, so they(the powers that be--officers, political leaders, etc.) figure you can stop in to try and use the ship as bait to start and hopefully win an engagement.