Defensive equipment

Real time World War II combat simulation
jftsang

Defensive equipment

Post by jftsang » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 pm

I am suggesting to Sean to create the following new defensive structures. All these are set up at the start of the game, and are available only to the defenders. They shall work in the same way as ordinary units, except that they are immobile and do not count against the 20-unit limit.

• barbed wire - simply prevents enemies from crossing
  • trench - infantry in trenches receive defensive bonuses
  • sandbags - reduces damage from artillery or shells
  • mines - hidden from the view of the enemy, and explode when a unit (enemy or not) steps over it. (Obviously, it would be necessary to teach the troops not to step onto their own mines.)

And then, of course, we'll need a new infantry unit: the sapper. The sapper is armed lightly, but can destroy barbed wires and mines.

One potential drawback, of course, is simply that your commander will likely get killed stepping on a mine. (That's why we have recon.)

The Arbiter

Post by The Arbiter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:03 am

Seconded,along with multiplayer,a Meeting engagment type,beach maps,and the addition of Poland into the game.

jftsang

Post by jftsang » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 am

The Arbiter wrote:Seconded,along with multiplayer,a Meeting engagment type,beach maps,and the addition of Poland into the game.

Especially in the case of Poland and France, the defensive equipment would be realistic.

Incidentally, if you play as Poland, what do you do after 1939?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:25 pm

jftsang wrote:
The Arbiter wrote:Seconded,along with multiplayer,a Meeting engagment type,beach maps,and the addition of Poland into the game.

Especially in the case of Poland and France, the defensive equipment would be realistic.

Polish Nazi boots.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

The Arbiter

Post by The Arbiter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:30 pm

jftsang wrote:

simple,Sean makes it so you can't play poland after Sept 1939

Knut

Post by Knut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 am

Bunkers!!!!! Give them "hit values" as a combo of armor thickness and and how regular buildings are modeled, and assign values according to whether to the size of the weapon housed - MG or cannon.

The Arbiter

Post by The Arbiter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:26 am

To be honest,I think MMultiplayer should be sean's TOP priority.

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 pm

Knut wrote:Bunkers!!!!! Give them "hit values" as a combo of armor thickness and and how regular buildings are modeled, and assign values according to whether to the size of the weapon housed - MG or cannon.

I agree this should not be too hard, because I have had a go at simulating bunkers. I modified an AFV file to have zero speed on or off road. This was as part of my continuing interest in World War One firefights, I imagined my infantry attacking a line of pillboxes. I have had a couple of amusing engagements with them.Of course there are problems - cost is high it seems. I can't really follow how the game assigns cost to AFVs. I have made an AFV with only 1 crew, 1 LMG for armament, thin armour and no mobility, and it costs only 1 or 2 points less than a proper tank. So I could not have more than 3. However they work quite well because in FF you only have to defend a point, not an area or a line.
I have not yet developed my own images. My german bunkers just look like half-tracks. In one game this was the result.
The en seem to have basically flooded the objective. You will see that I had few subunits, so the enemy were able to get right up into the wood without being seen or fired on by the bunker/AFVs.
I ran the same game only I used about 5 recce squads so that the enemy would be seen. That worked better. Then I had a game playing the germans defending against british, and the brits having tanks (Mk4 with 2pdr guns, and Renault types with 1 LMG). I also had anti-tank rifles to take on the tanks.

The game does need some of these upgrades to keep it interesting.
Voila du boudin!

hardfighter

Post by hardfighter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:10 am

bunkers would be a great addition. maybe not mines, though. with so few men compared to real battles, a line of mines could decimate an entire attacking force. sandbags and foxholes would be a great idea. the enemy always seems to be uncannily accurate with artillery, and a defence against it would be excellent.