Ideas for future CM! Post yours!

Command a squadron of spaceships
Conzul

Post by Conzul » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Great ideas in the above post.

Here are some more of my own. Have dynamic systems which are changing ownership in real time. Have realtime wars and treaties which would affect many things. You could be a sort of freelancer character who could change allegiance to one of the four races. As your career unfolds, you would be allowed more powerful ships and abilities. If you maintained allegiance to a single race for a long time you could gain the right to command a capital ship, and eventually be awarded a warlordship of several systems. These systems you could develop in a civilization like style, adding factories to harvest asteroid fields, building space stations with radius-effect abilities, and set up patrol routes for ships you built at ship factories, all the while commanding from your flagship............how's that?
Beware pirates bearing gifts!

Skragarak

Post by Skragarak » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 pm

OK. In the hope of seeing another update to Critical Mass, I'll post something here.

I would like to see the game be able to properly handle hundreds of ships and missiles on screen, without missiles disappearing all the time. For me small-scale battles in Critical Mass just don't cut it. It's great being part of a massive-scale war in this game, seeing several ships getting destroyed each turn by the huge amount of missiles flying around everywhere.

Another thing I would like to see in any future update is the ability to customize computer-controlled ships. The default ones just aren't good enough when you become skilled at this game. I've managed to convert every ship and station in my copy of Critical Mass to Star Wars and Star Trek ships, and it's a great laugh going up against computer controlled Star Destroyers and Borg Cubes. I even changed most of the missiles to resemble laser blasts as well, and a few sound files to go with them. However all these changes have taken time, and it would be good to see most parts of Critical Mass fully customizable using in-game tools rather than having to resort to another program.

Anyway, thats just me. Bring on Critical Mass 5!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!

Malkierian

Post by Malkierian » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:13 pm

What I would really like to see is a fix of the stupid "first hit kill". That lucky shot pisses me off. Seriously, one shot from behind, even from a freaking daycorn or geenee, is really irritating when you get to the upper levels. No one should be that lucky, and you shouldn't be able to destroy modules on the opposite side of impact unless there aren't any on the side the missile hit. And I also don't like having to eject everytime someone gets a good angle on my backside because of the fear of this happening, especially when I would otherwise be able to complete the mission.

And another one is the third credit limit. There should be at least an option of getting rid of it for your own side. If there wouldn't be a Roll of Honour for that mode, then fine, but I'd like to be able to play some of the extremely advanced ships sometimes.

wts

Re: What I would like to see...

Post by wts » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:00 am

I liked the idea from Shiva regarding having a base. It would be nice to either have a base or some sort of fuel and missile resupply/repair vessel that allows for mission continuation.

leolocolobo

Ideas for future CM! Post yours!

Post by leolocolobo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:53 am

Sean, here are a few ideas that would make a great game even better!

1) Allow players to choose whatever ships they want to build their squadron with. Limit the choices to 35% of the credits.

2) More control over the squadron and the individual ships. A squadron leader would be in constant radio contact to direct the attack, drop down menus or shortcut key would be great. Commands to 'stop firing', 'proceed to a certain sector', 'turn right/left', 'proceed to the mission objective' are some ideas.

3) Shotcut keys or dropdown menus to accomplish basic acts. 'Enter' key to end turn, 'a' key to cause lead ship to accellerate to full speed, menu to select the view magnificaion.

4) Ability to select missle load depending on the mission just before the mission.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 am

well, it might be a bit against the spirit of critical mass to be able to choose the missile load for all your ships. how about some sort of expensive/heavy part that would allow such multi-role capabilities?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:36 pm

umeboshi110 wrote:well, it might be a bit against the spirit of critical mass to be able to choose the missile load for all your ships. how about some sort of expensive/heavy part that would allow such multi-role capabilities?

I just design different variants of the same ship class with different armament, and sometimes slightly different equipment.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Kryzon

Post by Kryzon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:18 pm

3D real time graphics. And better sound effects.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:34 am

It really would be nice to have a new version of this game, I've been a fan since the beginning - a kid with no money fighting to master the demo version with one level. Please, Sean, for the love of all that is holy feed my addiction. Tell you what, I'm even going to buy the full version again just so you can get a little revenue out of this game. How does that sound? If I had a million dollars, I would pay you to make a new version of this game - not the whole million, mind you, but a decent sum nonetheless. Anyway, just ranting. I'm sure you'll some up with something great when its time. And don't worry about trying to please everybody who has posted ideas, you're the one with the vision to make this game. Not that some of the suggestions aren't great, but you get the idea. Anyway, good luck.

the space predator

my idea

Post by the space predator » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:18 pm

-I think that it will be great if we can choose our squad member. And like the WWII ace, have specific symbol for heroic pilot, great commander, legendery ship, veteran...
-The ennemy never have custom ship, why?
-Also, have skill like reflex or control for at least the player.
-And, my last idea, I think that we need to can desing our own missile.

vic user

Post by vic user » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I would love to be able to hit a ship with mine, after they have used their escape pod, and tow the enemy ship back home via my hyperspace.

Maybe give my towing ship really lousy movement for the 8 turns it takes.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:55 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I would love to be able to hit a ship with mine, after they have used their escape pod, and tow the enemy ship back home via my hyperspace.

You mean like getting bounty for captured ships?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:

You mean like getting bounty for captured ships?

I think maybe he meant so he can use that ship next mission...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

vic user

Post by vic user » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of getting some kind of reward for capturing ships, perhaps more credits for the next mission.

But it might be neat to have a mission where the objective is to retrieve a ship, maybe even with enemy diplomats still on it.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Great idea!
I need to write something, so i create that signature.