[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Idea for new terrain

Idea for new terrain

Real time World War II combat simulation

Idea for new terrain

Postby The Arbiter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:25 am

Railroads-they would function like canals(troops walk slow while cross as well as vehicles.)

Bridges and huge river crossing-troops can't walk through the deep water,and I'd say the river is a 10th or a 20th of the map wide in the center.

Urban-Just make an extremely large village.
The Arbiter

Postby The Arbiter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 am

Trenches-Nothing Fancy,just use a trench graghic.Infantry would use the stand graphic.It would show the map 4-5 ft deep.
The Arbiter

Postby The Arbiter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 am

Beach-Half is regualr green,1 quarter Beach,1 quarter water.
The Arbiter

Postby Legacy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm

One thing I could see, and this is about the only use for "beach," that would be historically accurate, is amphibious landings. You start out having landed, with your units placeable on the very edge of the surf, the water being impassable, and the terrain is flat, leading up to a rocky rise, where the enemy is(with guns, possibly pillbox-type vehicles, etc.) and have to break through and get up to the grassy high ground. It could be used for D-Day with the Americans, Canadians, and British, as well as in American versus Japanese missions.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 pm

using the current game AI, you would be hard pushed to win that one
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby The Arbiter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Churches-A church building graphic.Maybe use a standard wall for the outline of a grave yard,and use some gravestone graphics.
The Arbiter

Postby Legacy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 am

Have it set up so there is no retreat on beach landing missions. Since you can't run back into the ocean and all. Maybe the attacker should get a large artillery bonus, since ships would be supporting the landing.

Legacy

Postby Whereisdabud » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 am

and the attacker would also need a butt load of infantry. Maybe set up some HMG Germans in the bunkers as well.
Whereisdabud

Postby Legacy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Flame thrower tanks would be useful, perhaps?

Legacy

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:27 pm

tanks that didnt freeze would be useful...
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Legacy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 pm

I imagine mortars would be useful, too.

Legacy

Postby Knut » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 pm

While at first look it sounds fun, I don't really see how any kind of "realistic" simulation of this could be modeled. Most, if not all, beach landings I'm aware of were well supported by heavy aerial bombing and strafing, and shipboard bombardment throughout the landing phase. Maybe Dieppe?
Knut

Postby The Arbiter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:52 pm

There's only one problem with beach maps-since the player can only defend the bottom of maps, the map would have to be flipped.
The Arbiter

Postby Legacy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:09 am

Legacy

Postby The Arbiter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 pm

The Arbiter

Return to Firefight