[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Newbie (old guy) thinking about buying needs answers ...

Newbie (old guy) thinking about buying needs answers ...

Real time World War II combat simulation

Newbie (old guy) thinking about buying needs answers ...

Postby DaveyJJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:47 am

Hi Sean,

I just discovered this gem and have to say it's amazing. I have a couple of quick questions to help me decide yes/no to buy ...

1. The difference between campaign and scenario? I read that there are lots of scenarios to play, can we select any of them in the full version?

2. Can we create a random scenario to play?

3. How are the maps made? How many are there? Are you working on a map editor? Or would a randon scenario from 2. simply use one of the existing maps based on the scenario consitions?

4. Is there any way to increase the size of the infantry unit sprites? My old eyes are having a rough time.

5. The full version has campaigns with numerous nationalities etc, no? I am mainly interested in Western and Med fronts.

Thanks for a superb game. really enjoying the demo.

PS. Found the answer's to some of my questions in the following review ... "it uses a random-map generator to create its gaudy tracts of French farmland, North African desert, Pacific jungle and Russian steppe" which I guess answers part of 3.
DaveyJJ

Postby Andy Brown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am

Below is a post I made on FF some years ago. Note that a few more nationalities and terrain types have been added since then.

The game units and the campaigns are easily and endlessly moddable but there's no map editor and no scenario creator.

The game is pixel-based, so bigger screen = bigger field of view but smaller sprites.

This is all pretty rushed. Hope it helps.

Andy Brown.

You can be Italian, French, British, German, Soviet or US.
You can attack or defend.
You can choose your force from a variety of available tanks, squads and heavy weapons.
You can choose one of five levels of difficulty (affects the size of the enemy force).
Every game generates a new map using a random seed, so a particular battle can be replayed any number of times. However, there is currently no scenario editor.
You can play the campaign, where you choose a nationality and progress through WW2 fighting a series of historically appropriate battles for that nationality (you don't know the difficulty setting for each campaign game).
There are five basic terrain types around which each map is based: villages, desert, forest, lowlands and hills.
Andy Brown

Postby DaveyJJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks Andy. Reading through the notes about 4.0 thoroughly (after the kids were in bed) also helped. I'm still a bit confused about campaigns though. Can you not simply play a one-off (scenario) game? Simply create a map t use, set the forces, and go, as opposed to a campaign worth of scenarios?
DaveyJJ

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:44 pm

You can play a single battle, and in this you can fully set the fields for terrain, nationalities (brits vs. brits etc are options), difficulty and forces disposition (ranging from tanks only to inf (and field guns) only, with 3 blends in the middle).

If you set the same scenery parameters, and key in the same map number, you get the same map. This allows you to play on the same field with the full variety of forces available.

The campaign simple sets a chain of these random maps into a vaguely historical sequence, set at roughly 1 month intervals, with a few differences:

No terrain selection
No forces selection (but it tells you whilst loading)
No difficulty selection (you can get an idea from the point to spend, but it doesn't say)
You stay the same nationality throughout (oddly enough)
The enemy is set for historical accuracy - this does mean that you can fight the germans in 1944 france, but if you fight as the germans at the same time, you fight against the russians constantly.
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby DaveyJJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks, Andy! I'm pretty much sold now. One bit of final info ...

You've mentioned scenario parameters. And "keying" in the map number. I think I see the map number (greyed out in the demo) ... is that a specific map or some sort of seed # that generates a map based on what was input? If it's not a randomization seed, I assume the numbers mean things ... e.g., percentage coverage of trees, hills etc?

Or are those sorts of parameters including things like season, date, time, general location (i.e., France versus North Africa) set separately?

Thanks again for the help!

David
DaveyJJ

Postby Andy Brown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Andy Brown

Postby DaveyJJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 pm

DaveyJJ

Postby mitype2 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:50 am

Just this game alone is worth the 50 sum odd bucks I spent for all of them. FF is a game you can play over and over and not get bored.
mitype2

Return to Firefight