[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - About Artillery

About Artillery

Real time World War II combat simulation

About Artillery

Postby JeanBoule » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:53 am

I have stated before on other threads how hard it is to find out some things about the tactical use of weapons, compared to the ease of finding out about the technical details of the weapons themselves. The key example with artillery is rates of fire. You can go to any library and find a few books on the shelf that will tell you in fine detail about the 25-pdr but almost none will say how many rounds could be fired in a minute, an hour, or a day.
I have been doing a bit more research, and have found this page gives a short but informative explanation of how artillery worked in the WWII era.
www.balagan.org.uk/war/ww2/artillery.htm
It quotes http://www.riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/tech1.htm where there are more links (I certainly have not read them all yet).

I have written a program in JustBasic to simulate an artillery barrage, to scale on a screenshot from FF. It shows a typical spread of impacts when an 8-gun battery fires 3 rounds per gun into a target area 100 metres long. I have had to make a number of assumptions to do this, pending more research. The smiley marks the aiming point I used.

What I find very interesting is tyhe size of the gaps between the impacts. WWII era field artillery would probably not make craters of the size shown, which are 4 to 5 metres across. The lethality of the shells would I think, not be 100% much beyond this.

I am working on a version of the program which will show how the shells fall over time.

cheers
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Legacy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:13 pm

That's pretty nifty.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Return to Firefight