Is Palm slay development simply dead?

Conquer the island
DJulz

Is Palm slay development simply dead?

Post by DJulz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 am

(I posted this initially as a reply to the Treo 680 screen issue, but no one read it, so here I go bubbling it up to the top...)

Sean (and team),
I've been an avid Palm user since 97, and an avid Slay fan since 2002/3 (or somewhere thereabouts). But while I keep seeing updates for Windows and Windows Mobile, I don't think the Palm side gets as much attention.

So here's my question/thought: is the Palm OS just not worth pursuing since there are not enough Palm/Treo units compared to WinMo units? Or is it a harder platform to port your code to?

I haven't seen any updates on the new Treo (post-650) screen issue, and I know Sean's colleague does the development and this is probably nowhere near being high on his/her priority list. So I'm stuck playing this on my PC, but my new Palm feels remarkably incomplete.

And I'm not mad, as I'm in the Software Development field myself (but not an actual developer side - I just wash the dishes :D ). But I'm just curious. I love the Palm OS, but I've been seeing the declining share, and the lagging development. And they're supposed to be releasing a new OS sometime before 2040. But again, I'm a realist. :cry:

Anyone else notice this decline?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 am

The story behind the Palm version is that I paid a friend a one off payment to write a Palm conversion. I sell very few versions of Palm Slay so it's not economical to find another professional Palm developer to update the game. Every time I see him I drop a hint about doing an update but I've not had any luck. He's a Slay fan so it might happen one day but I can't promise anything.

dcharles

Post by dcharles » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:The story behind the Palm version is that I paid a friend a one off payment to write a Palm conversion. I sell very few versions of Palm Slay so it's not economical to find another professional Palm developer to update the game. Every time I see him I drop a hint about doing an update but I've not had any luck. He's a Slay fan so it might happen one day but I can't promise anything.

Sean,

Would you consider a similar arrangement for an iPhone port? Slay is the one thing I really miss from WM. Perhaps us fans could all kick in to help cover the costs?

Destructor

Post by Destructor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:13 am

dcharles wrote:Would you consider a similar arrangement for an iPhone port? Slay is the one thing I really miss from WM. Perhaps us fans could all kick in to help cover the costs?

x2

I really, really, really, really want Slay on the iPhone. Cover development costs? Hell, I'll invest:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/174266

x0ne

Post by x0ne » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:13 am

As an owner of the Palm version who now uses an iPhone I third the request for an iPhone version, I really miss Slay :(

Jeren

Post by Jeren » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 am

That would definitely be interesting. Of course, not having an iPhone, I can't say whether or not it'd be a good idea.

But, it seems that all it really takes to start developing a program for the iPhone is a Mac. So long as Sean, or one of this friends, has an Intel-based Mac running Leopard, he could work on it.

Uhgii

Post by Uhgii » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:21 am

I think it'd be a great idea. Especially if made multiplayer. I think it'd sell extremely well on the iPhone. He wouldn't only have loyal customers from here purchasing it, but thousands upon thousands of others who browse the iTunes App Store, or from word of mouth. Several lesser-known strategy games ported from the computer to the iPhone have been very successful. While I won't name any here (I don't want to "advertise" on their behalf), one of the best selling games was a simple strategy game ported from the PC with simple graphics, and solid (multiplayer optional) gameplay.

I know I would purchase it, and subsequently spread it around like wildfire. =)

The key would be to create a "light" version, a demo of sorts, to gain hype while creating the final version. I could imagine it becoming a best seller, but I'm a bit biased toward it. Nevertheless, it'd be a very lucrative move.