What Does "Fractal" Mean?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

What Does "Fractal" Mean?

Post by Andy Brown » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I've finally got 4.1 and the hills are a definite improvement but I was wondering if some knowledgable person could tell me what "fractal" means (as in "fractally generated hills")?

Thanks,

Andy Brown

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:59 pm

"A fractal is generally "a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole," a property called self-similarity. The term was coined by Beno?t Mandelbrot in 1975 and was derived from the Latin fractus meaning "broken" or "fractured." A mathematical fractal is based on an equation that undergoes iteration, a form of feedback based on recursion."
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks mate. Followed up with a bit of research myself and it's all much clearer now.

Andy

Knut

new hills

Post by Knut » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm

I like the new hills a lot. They look great, and turn a lot of my usual tactics on its head. The terrain can be VERY rugged, which completely throws off line of sight, and brings new challenges in covering areas with defenders, or assessing where the enemies main defensive positions are.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:53 pm

but if all the hill look like that, it will not be a must. some hill are not fractal, roughed.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:05 am

I haven't been playing FF much lately but I thought I'd give the new hills a spin today. I was reminded of the saying "Be careful what you wish for: you might just get it."

I agree with Knut. The new hills are a big improvement in terms of gameplay and realism but, IMO, they make it harder to picture the terrain. Used to be the top of the hill was underneath the name of the hill. This isn't always the case anymore.

It used to take me a few moments with the cursor to work out which of the old hills were higher than the others. This is even more important with the new hills as it is even harder to work out relative heights from the top down view. Some sort of contour line, say every 100 feet or 30 metres would be useful for making terrain appreciation more intuitive, or some sort of colour shading from real dark at 0 metres to very light at 90 metres (hmm - that would probably screw up the shadows though).

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have the new hills than the old. They're much more lifelike. But understanding the terrain at a glance, which was always difficult, has become even more difficult with the new system.

Cheers,

Andy Brown