Custom Fleet

Command a squadron of spaceships
Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 am

A few more recent designs:

The "Hammerhead" is for all you Piranha/Swordfish/Barracuda/Shark fans. It's basically just a Piranha with loads of extra scanners on the front and sides.
And yes, I know I shouldn't have shown it in green when it's not even available to Ryckurn...

Download:
http://cid-b1e7ee094271bbda.skydrive.li ... /Part2.zip

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 pm

It is good, i like them

sorare31

Post by sorare31 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:44 am

Sketchy wrote:I've now started going for the highest GoldCross% I can get, which I find a lot more entertaining than just trying to live forever. It basically means having to fly really cheap, attack-oriented ships with few wingmen (rather than the best ships I can afford).

Can you get Gold Crosses if you fail a mission? Some of those cheaper ships simply don't have enough missiles to take out mission targets AND some high value ships. Similarly, it's difficult to keep a massive force occupied if you're defending a target. Some enemy ships (especially in Hawk, Bug, and Piranha classes) will just ignore you and look for their objective.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes, you can still get Gold Crosses even if you are killed and fail the mission - it's just a lot harder.

Attacking super-starbases is a pretty good example though. You get almost no reward for destroying the starbase itself, only for the mission success. However, with the amount of missiles it takes to destroy one, you could have taken out maybe 3 or 4 high value ships instead. As a result, you're much more likely to get a Gold Cross if you don't even try and destroy the starbase, especially if your wingmen can get the job done for you.

Ideally, I think you just want to always use the cheapest ship you're confident will get the job done.
Once you get further into the game there are more high value enemy ships, so it's much easier to get Gold Crosses with a more expensive ship and wingmen.
The first few missions though, you pretty much have to kill every enemy ship on your own, if you fly a 116pt ship.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:48 pm

I have get 3 postumous gold cross.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Sun May 17, 2009 4:58 am

It takes a while to be able to purchase ships 400 credits and up. But when you are able to purchase those ships, there should be no question as to why you shouldn't be allowed to be seated in the most powerful ships the game can support. You are the Admiral of the entire fleet are you not?

Repair bots are over rated. You shouldn't have damage past your shields as it is. When my shields go, I hyperspace out of there. I will take no chances on my life, there will be other missions.
日本語がわかる。

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm

I don't think Repair Bots are over-rated, provided they're used properly.

There's very little point having them on a ship with lots of shields and only one or two Command Centers (eg. any of the in-built designs) - the ship will probably be destroyed before anything has a chance to get repaired. If you are going to get hit by a lot of missiles in a short space of time, then it's better to have shields - of course that won't happen if you're any good at the game.

If you have a lot of spare Command Centers and several Repair Bots though, you can still make very durable ships - it's basically like having regenerating shields. Plus, they're equally effective regardless which direction you are hit from - which is a very good thing, as rear shields are not cost-effective. In most situations, I'd feel a lot safer in my Warthog design than in a Warrior.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really work if your wingmen are piloting the ships, as they are cowards and always eject or hyperspace at the very first sign of danger.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Just if they are very hurted. Help your wingmen his a good strategies, they will help you after.