[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Question

Question

Command a squadron of spaceships

Question

Postby Conzul » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Beware pirates bearing gifts!
Conzul

Postby Conzul » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 am

Heheheh.......

Took the better part of 9 mins. Soooooo expensive though.
Beware pirates bearing gifts!
Conzul

Postby the space predator » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:46 pm

the space predator

Postby Sketchy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:39 pm

If you're feeling helpful, I'd really appreciate a designs.dat file containing just the missiles and escape pod, with all the other ships and structures removed (I think that should be possible?).

The thread below contains a designs.dat file that allows you to add 5 custom ships, but I want to be able to edit all the ships in the game.

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/forums/vi ... 6&start=15

I need it so I can make my WingCommander total conversion, where I plan to replace all the ships and missions. If you can figure out how to change the medal/menu/other graphics too, that would be great :)

A few of the ships I've made so far:
Sketchy

Postby Fusion_power » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Sketchy,

You can remove many of the ships from the designs file, but some of them are hard coded into the game. For example, on the Attack Stranded Ship mission, there is some code to select a ship from a specific group. Also, the flotillas are assembled from basic groups of ships such as the pilot training center, radar bases, civilian ships, etc. These also cannot be removed from the designs file.

What you can do is remove about 15 total dividers and ships that are otherwise unused. This allows you to import that number of your custom ships which would be fully usable by the AI. If you would like a stripdown version of the designs.dat file so you can import your own ships, send me an email and I will prepare one for you.

Please note that Sean does not object to hacks such as ships that exceed the internal ship designers limits and he does not mind mucking around with the ships the AI can use, but he probably would object to anyone modifying the base code of the program.

I am a stickler for having a licensed copy of Sean's games, so much so that I recently purchased 2 additional licenses so I could give 'legitimate' copies to my kids. I would much prefer to have Sean make the modifications if it involves the actual game.

darjones (at) selectedplants (dot) com
Fusion_power

Postby Sketchy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Would it not be possible though, to create new ships (with the same names if need be) to replace the existing ones?
How does the game reference ships anyway - by name, position in the designs.dat file, other...?

I'd still want to include things like radar bases, freighters etc, but I'd like to change their appearance and probably their design aswell.
It's just not worth the effort if I can't make significant changes.

I don't intend on changing the gameplay at all - partly because it's way beyond what I'm capable of. I also don't intend to distribute it widely, and certainly won't make any money from it (obviously highly illegal). It will also come with a very clear disclaimer. I can't really see why Sean would object to be honest - it's not a standalone product, so he wouldn't lose any income from it.
Sketchy

Postby Conzul » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:57 pm

It was an .exe hack. I also tried to change the megatons of damage done by each missile, but I don't think that worked. I'm not a coder yet, so I couldn't add anything anyway, so I just stick to changing obvious things. I do have a legal copy of the game btw. I have always thought that having a person mod your game was a bit of a compliment, they have enough interest and see enough in a program to improve it. That's how many big games acquire modding communities. Not blowing mah own horn either. When you see a line that says "MaxShieldsPerSide = 8" then it's not too hard to tell what to do.
Conzul

Return to Critical Mass