Wish List

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:28 am

I'm not really serious about what I'm about to suggest but it makes an interesting talking point.

How about the ability to cancel the "Retreat" order? So you can order "Retreat", and everybody heads for the edge of the map, but you can cancel it at anytime.

What it means is you have this "Get out of jail" option to get troops out of serious danger (maybe) but using it completely screws up your plan. If you stop the retreat soon enough, you may be able to recover the game and get some kind of positive result but you'd have to work hard to do so.

The thing about "forced withdrawals" is that, once troops start running backwards, it's very hard to get them to stop. While being able to force a squad to ignore incoming fire and quickly withdraw from a killing zone sounds like a good idea, most of the time IRL, that squad would be combat ineffective for the rest of the engagement anyway.

If you must have some sort of "shit, I fucked up, let's make it better" forced withdrawal option, the penalty for using it should be significant.

Tanks v tanks in FF are a bit of a joke but I don't think that's what the game's meant to be about. FF Tanks work well in support of infantry and tanks v infantry with pzfausts/pzschrecks or bazookas (IMO) makes for quite realistic games. AFVs v AFVs however, is not something FF does well and I don't believe it was intended to.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:52 pm

How about the ability to cancel the "Retreat" order? So you can order "Retreat", and everybody heads for the edge of the map, but you can cancel it at anytime.

What it means is you have this "Get out of jail" option to get troops out of serious danger (maybe) but using it completely screws up your plan. If you stop the retreat soon enough, you may be able to recover the game and get some kind of positive result but you'd have to work hard to do so.

I agree, it i idiot. Stop retreat is realistic only if ennemies don't run after your troop. But just cannot [/code]

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 am

the space predator wrote:Stop retreat is realistic only if ennemies don't run after your troop.

Not sure I agree with this. If a force withdraws, and their enemy thinks it's strong enough to chase after them, why shouldn't it?

Andy

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:52 pm

What I said is that during a war, if you retreat and your ennemie run after you, you can't stop, your ennemi have an advantage. But if your ennemi stay there, why not stop to retreat an stay on a new position?

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:11 am

Ah. I understand. No problems with that, Predator.

Andy

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am

Before they start any of that, they need to create the ability to command from a vehicle. Then I can drive the boche from the plains of Belgium with my H39.

La Vie En Rose, Indeed.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Yes, it sure. If it were like in critical mass, where you choose who is the commender, it will be good. The choice of the HQ will be an strategic choice. You cannot win whit only one big tank.

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 am

the space predator wrote:Yes, it sure. If it were like in critical mass, where you choose who is the commender, it will be good. The choice of the HQ will be an strategic choice. You cannot win whit only one big tank.

No No No...I have a command H39 but I have SOMUAs as the main cavalry tanks and they just roll through the panzer I/IIs. I just hang in the back and call in artillery and smoke and score with Belgian babes.

Laissez le Bon temp rouler!!

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 pm

No No No...I have a command H39 but I have SOMUAs as the main cavalry tanks and they just roll through the panzer I/IIs. I just hang in the back and call in artillery and smoke and score with Belgian babes.

What I said is that if someday you create an 100 credit tank, and you sell all your squad to buy it, you will not win.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 am

...unless you make that tank have a big enough icon to be seen, but is 1 pixel by 1 pixel by 1 pixel and armed to the teeth, with ridiculous top speeds.

I've done it, using a picture of my head as the tank, and a cigar for the turret
________
Yamaha XV1000
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Ah, the shadowy sides of modding.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 am

Have made an tank that look like a buldozer whit an very heavy armor. It is easy to reperate but very difficult to destroy.

JeanBoule

Meanwhile on the topic of Retreating by a single squad

Post by JeanBoule » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 am

I think the squad should be able to do this, up to a point. There are situations like

1. In desperation when engaged by a superior force. To use an Aust Army example, at the Long Tan fight in Viet Nam, a platoon were heavily engaged, losing most of a section, and the Pl commander. The Pl Sgt took over, but they soon lost their radio and all contact with coy HQ and the other platoons. The Sgt could not organize a fire-and-movement withdrawal with small groups covering each other, the noise and fire were just too great. He crawled around and told everbody he would order all to run at once, the next time the enemy fire slackened a bit. When it did he yelled and everybody jumped up and ran like hell. They lost a couple more but it was better than staying there and slowly losing the lot.

2. Shoot and scoot as a first choice. This is what the FF recce groups could do instead of staying and fighting it out as they do. At one time the SAS patrols mostly did this (I dunno what they do now). Everybody fires towards the enemy then runs, similar to case 1.

3. When covered by friendly fire or smoke. I try to do this in FF and do not see any definite effect, mostly because my tps don't seem to do any sort of rapid fire. Arty smoke takes too long, arty HE seems to pin own tps just as much as the enemy. This is where the light mortars should come in. Some sources say Lmors were found much more useful for firing illumination, signals and smoke than for HE. Likewise hand thrown smoke grenades could help squads retreat.
Voila du boudin!

usmc.61

Post by usmc.61 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:16 pm

I would like an "arcade mode." No soldiers being surpressed, no rerteating, just a massive brawl.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:03 am

I'm not sure... That not very in the "spirit" of the game. It was not really like I want to play Firefigth.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.