[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - I'm confused

I'm confused

Real time World War II combat simulation

I'm confused

Postby usmc.61 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I have a question. Before the bullets start flying, my little soldiers follow my commands exactly. But, when the battle begins, they don't do anything I say. I will send them somewhere and they will just stand there. I understand they should be a little uncooprative with their lives at stake, but they don't do anything I tell them? How can I win a battle when my own soldiers won't follow my orders?
usmc.61

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm

You are correct, they won't move when under direct fire. That is commonly known as non-suicidal behaviour and a major pain in the rear for all commanders. The trick here is to throw more lead at the enemy than he can throw at your boys. Following the same logic your enemy then will have to cease shooting at you for a while enabling you to move your troops.
Well, there are a few other things to do, too, like having the squad in question eaten by the enemy while you move around behind the next hill with the rest or so. The basic point remains: they frankly don't give a damn about your orders while under fire.
This doesn't only account for your troops being afraid (?Hey, my company wouldn't be scared, would it??) but also other adverse effects like difficulties of actually passing on the orders (all those guns and explosions kind of make some noise), overall confusion and so forth.

Well... I'm sure some of the others guys around here, who are way more competent commanders than me, will be around soon and provide you with more specific advice. I'm slightly confused myself right now.
TheKangaroo

Postby Andy Brown » Mon May 18, 2009 10:22 am

Andy Brown

Re

Postby Knut » Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Knut

Postby the space predator » Mon May 18, 2009 5:13 pm

the space predator

Postby usmc.61 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:53 am

Why can one squad suppress my entire army? If my guys were even slightly competent, they would wipe the enemy squad from the map.
usmc.61

Postby Legacy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 am

It works for the same reason that one machine gun nest can hold a crossroads against an infantry company for quite a while, and the same reason why a couple guys can hijack an airplane against over a hundred. Fear.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby TheKangaroo » Fri May 22, 2009 12:13 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby the space predator » Sat May 23, 2009 1:17 am

the space predator

Postby Legacy » Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 am

Legacy

Postby the space predator » Sun May 24, 2009 11:59 pm

the space predator

Postby usmc.61 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 am

usmc.61

Postby Legacy » Wed May 27, 2009 4:08 am

Legacy

Postby usmc.61 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:45 am

usmc.61

Postby Legacy » Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Legacy

Next

Return to Firefight