I want some landing beach

Real time World War II combat simulation
the space predator

Post by the space predator » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm

But, scenario was just predefinned selection of terrain, date and nationality.
I can doo Normandy scenario like an defensive mission :roll: If you wnat to play the French corsica occupation, just make it by yourself, it will not change anything.

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:12 am

the space predator wrote:But, scenario was just predefinned selection of terrain, date and nationality.
I can doo Normandy scenario like an defensive mission :roll: If you wnat to play the French corsica occupation, just make it by yourself, it will not change anything.

Yeah and that's where we run into the limitations of the game. But it's still robust enough that if you are all about the lesser known battles of the war you can improvise somewhat. And we can only play ourselves anyway.

Still Corsica could be fun if you had a time limit to land and then try to reach and capture a port before the Germans can evacuate. I would think Dieppe might be fun to try as well, but ultimately you're outnumbered as the invader (You're not driving Churchills to Berlin) and the defender will have overwhelming superiority.

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 pm

JeanBoule wrote:
GeneralPrioux wrote:[ Read "Fortress France" by JE and HW Kaufmann from page 175 on where it details the forts and the guns of the Little Maginot Line.

Fascinating! :shock: I googled that and there is a google book. It showed page 175 and 176 I think. It certainly named the Little Maginot Line. Nothing after those pages unfortunately.

In the book it goes on for another 5-6 pages to page 180.

There is a great diagram of a fort on a hilltop, or rather in the hilltop, with tunnels thru so guns could be fired out of the face of a cliff.

If you're into it, buy the book. It's very interesting

Can you give a reference describing the Italian attack from the sea?

In the book on page 179 it mentions the 2 aborted amphibious landings. The first one the Italians called off and the second was halted I believe because the French had rolled up some super-heavy rail artillery and were able to deter the Italians from a successful landing attempt. But I will dig out more reference for you if you need. 8)

I have always been interested in the Mareth Line between Tunisia and Libya. Apparently Rommel did not think a lot of it and made a stand at another wadi further forward. So I would be interested to see how elaborate it was.

Unfortunately the book didn't go into detail on the Mareth line other than a very cursory mention of it.

send me a PM and I will send you my address so you can send me the case of beer 8)

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Pm has been disabled. Make it another time maybe?
Have read the book, it is good! An other to add to my library.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:56 pm

The Italians getting a "bloody nose" attacking France overland....

Did I not see the figures somewhere (Watching 'The World at War', IIRC), of Italian casualties ~5000 killed, many more wounded, French casualties 8. That would be eight as in seven plus one.... :shock:
________
Toyota Stout history
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Italin soldier don't wnt to figth beacause they remember that in ww1, french and italians have been allied.
But french troop are very motived and want to save the honnor

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 am

the space predator wrote:Pm has been disabled. Make it another time maybe?
Have read the book, it is good! An other to add to my library.

Still waiting for my case of beer. I see Montreal likes to boo the US anthem at hockey games. :evil: You better hope we don't get multiplayer because I will make you pay for Quebecois insolence. 8) I'll make what your coward countrymen do to harp seals look like a trip to the day spa. :shock:

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:58 pm

:evil: You better hope we don't get multiplayer because I will make you pay for Quebecois insolence. 8) I'll make what your coward countrymen do to harp seals look like a trip to the day spa.

Yes :D some opposition. I hope that you will not retreat after your 8 tank have been destroy like the german that I exterminate in my russian campain. :lol: 8)

GeneralPrioux

Post by GeneralPrioux » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:28 am

the space predator wrote:
:evil: You better hope we don't get multiplayer because I will make you pay for Quebecois insolence. 8) I'll make what your coward countrymen do to harp seals look like a trip to the day spa.

Yes :D some opposition. I hope that you will not retreat after your 8 tank have been destroy like the german that I exterminate in my russian campain. :lol: 8)

You wait until my StuGs are crushing your commander under their treads. Hopefully for your sake the multiplayer will feature a white flag you can throw up when my panzerwaffe to administer 3rd Reich-style justice.

In all seriousness, multiplayer would be fun with this group. Even 3x3 would be an absolute blast!!!
How many battles in your Soviet campaign?

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 pm

in all seriousness, multiplayer would be fun with this group. Even 3x3 would be an absolute blast!!!

Surely, I hope that we will can make battle whit more then one commender each side.

How many battles in your Soviet campaign?

I have made my 27th battle

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 20, 2009 12:57 am

Sean, for the next Firefigth version, you need to make scenario be scenario. Like it is actually, it look more like sugestion of location. Scenario need to be an imposed batllefield whit special element (or not) and the kind of army(mostly tank, infantry) and of batlle (defend assult) need to be imposed.

Sorry if I made mistake, englsh is not my first language.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sat May 23, 2009 4:24 am

Predator,

I see what you're getting at, but, if you use the same mission code with different terrain, dates, nationalities etc, you can pretty much get any battle you want.

The other thing to do is to go into the Guns, Infantry or Tanks sub-folders in the FF Data folder and delete (move somewhere else) the .txt files of all the units you don't want to play with.

So, for example, if you want to play a game with only SS Panzergrenadiers, move every other German squad .txt file out of the infantry sub-folder and that's what you'll get.

It's more difficult with campaigns because you have to remember to make sure that the folders contain only the units you want to fight with before generating each battle. However, once you've saved the game or campaign file, it doesn't matter because all the data for that particular battle is saved with it.

That's a very quick explanation and I know English isn't your first language. Get back to me if you need a better explanation.

Cheers,

Andy

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat May 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.