It's NOT a good day to die...

Real time World War II combat simulation
Legacy

It's NOT a good day to die...

Post by Legacy » Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 pm

I've picked up Firefight for the first time in a little while, and my first real session playing with the fractal terrain, and am defending as China. My line is long, set up in an inverted wedge of sorts, with a long, shallow angle on my left flank, and a sharp, short right. They made contact with my left wing and began firing at about the one minute mark. The exchange of fire picked up quickly, and worsened once the enemy started rolling along that angled left flank. Once the troops who'd made initial contact came into range of my SMG squads on my reinforced left position, I couldn't find more than a square centimeter of screen not covered by tracers. It wasn't until almost the ten minute mark, after nine minutes of that intense shooting, that I saw anyone on either side get wounded!
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Evrybody will die a day or another :lol:

I have see in a batlle one of my man be wounded more then ten time, but he was never immobillised and he never die.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed May 27, 2009 6:11 pm

That's hilarious. I just have to picture that like one of those 2-yards-distance firefights from The Naked Gun. Everyone shooting and nobody ever hitting anything.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed May 27, 2009 8:09 pm

They made up for it at around the 30 minute mark, when artillery killed everyone in my HQ squad. In the end, we still squished them between the two sides of my V(more of a backwards check mark) and got most of them to surrender, but one of my captains with a crappy rating anyway got wasted.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 27, 2009 11:20 pm

One day, my gun was rigth in front of an ennemy tank, he shoot and he misses. But the ennemy tank don't miss him :cry:

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed May 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Well, I once took a defended objective with a tank crew. But that's not even half as hilarious as a 30min fight without any effect. By the way, I tried a Chinese campaign myself once. To me it seemed rather inevitable to get killed with a bad rating.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 am

TheKangaroo wrote:Well, I once took a defended objective with a tank crew. But that's not even half as hilarious as a 30min fight without any effect. By the way, I tried a Chinese campaign myself once. To me it seemed rather inevitable to get killed with a bad rating.

Captain Han would agree with you, but...

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm

But...?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat May 30, 2009 11:07 am

But he's unavailable since he is attending a funeral.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat May 30, 2009 12:28 pm

And not from the cheap seats, either.

Newsparta

Re: It's NOT a good day to die...

Post by Newsparta » Sat May 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Legacy wrote:It wasn't until almost the ten minute mark, after nine minutes of that intense shooting, that I saw anyone on either side get wounded!

Yea, the accuracy in the game seems slightly to inaccurate to be realistic, thats one thing i hope Sean fixes is beef the accuracy a bit

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 pm

Actually, I'd say this game is fairly liberal on the estimate of accuracy. Heck, in most real firefights, considerably fewer than half the troops fired their weapons in WW2.

If you think about the number of rounds fired in a typical battle in game, versus a real company-size engagement, versus the number that actually hit something that can be classified as a target, we've got impressive accuracy in game.

The only think increasing it would do is to make the battles quicker, it wouldn't really change the dynamics in any other way, I don't think.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat May 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Accuracy need some minor correction

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 am

A quick Google informs me that, during WW2, around 25,000 rounds of small arms ammuntion had to be fired for every small arms kill. By the time of the Vietnam War, apparently, this had at least doubled (due to the increase in the number of auto and semi-automatic weapons on the battlefield) and some sources say Vietnam required as many as 200,000 small-arms rounds per kill.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Firefight's accuracy.

I don't see how you can make battles quicker without changing the feel and balance of the game (unless you're talking about some sort of time-compression feature when troops are out of contact?).

Andy

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun May 31, 2009 2:10 pm

It would be kind of interesting to have a sort of "fast forward" or double time button like the Total War games do. I often use it during the endphase, where I'm slaughtering routers, or early on while waiting for contact in M:TW and R:TW.