I'm confused

Real time World War II combat simulation
the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

The better place to be if an ennemy arty fire on you is in a hole. And if it is possible this hole must be in a forest and/or on a hill.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed May 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Unless a shell lands in that hole...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 pm

Maybye

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed May 27, 2009 11:21 pm

If a shell landed on top of you it didn't exactly matter what place you were in.
The whole point of being in a hole is a geometric one: assuming that fragments fly from the place of explosion in straight lines (the most dangerous ones do that) a hole offers the most protection just because only shells exploding right above will shoot fragments into it.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am

TheKangaroo wrote:If a shell landed on top of you it didn't exactly matter what place you were in.
The whole point of being in a hole is a geometric one: assuming that fragments fly from the place of explosion in straight lines (the most dangerous ones do that) a hole offers the most protection just because only shells exploding right above will shoot fragments into it.

I know, I was being silly.

I think the guys ought to be able to crawl into the shell craters from the first volley for shelter...

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri May 29, 2009 5:05 pm

The reflex of a soldier during a arty fire, is to go in a hole. not stay there and hope to survive. Especially if it was an elite soldier.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat May 30, 2009 2:34 am

There are no fighting holes in Firefight.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat May 30, 2009 11:08 am

There are shell holes, though. Do they actually offer protection in Firefight?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat May 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Nope, but I mentioned that shell craters should.

usmc.61

Post by usmc.61 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:45 pm

I honestly don't know how to play this game well. The second I roll my tanks forward, they are blasted by anti tank guns I can't even see. My entire army is suppressed by one man firing a pistol at them. But, when all of my squads are trying to gun down one enemy soldier, he just gets up and walks away. Can anyone help?

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat May 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Don't charge, never charge whitout knowing the terrain, have reserved squad that can help the first line by support them or circle ennemy.
watch for the ennemy tank and anti-tank gun. A good attack plan his to go from a hill to another. Look at the map, and think where you will have put your troop if you were the defender. keep your squad close from the other and place your HQ on the biggest hill before start the battle.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun May 31, 2009 11:10 am

It's perfectly natural that for most of the time you don't see the enemy. For some strange reason they keep hiding from you. They can see your men way more easily because if you are attacking chances are that your soldiers will be up and running in the open. (Works the other way round! Try a defence scenario once in a while.)

Make guesses as to where defences could be, as space predator said.
Use recon squads to scout ahead, they have submachineguns in case the enemy opens on them at point blank range and even if they get killed you lose only three men.
Watch for muzzle flashes, even if you can't see the enemy himself you might see where they are shooting from, trace back where the tracers kept coming from if necessary.
Keep a squad stationary to shoot at the bad guys while you have another squad move, suppression is key.
Sometimes it pays to just stay in a place for a while, your soldiers might spot guns and such only after a while.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun May 31, 2009 10:12 pm

usmc.61 wrote:My entire army is suppressed by one man firing a pistol at them.

I've got a feeling you may be trying to micromanage a bit too much.

Firefight is a numbers game. Two squads will usually beat one. You need to realise, however, that it takes them time to do it.

When a unit comes under fire, the first thing I usually do is move its marker back to where it is. This tells the soldiers that they don't have to advance anymore, which means they can concentrate on finding cover and shooting back at the enemy.

The next thing to do is to bring additional units up to engage the enemy. This will give you fire superiority. It's now just a matter of time before the enemy is suppressed.

The point to note, however, is that this doesn't happen immediately. It takes time. While the enemy shows any kind of fight, your own troops will prefer self preservation to obeying your orders and are not likely to respond to any moves you may order them to make.

Troops under fire that are ordered to move will attempt to do so when incoming fire slackens sufficiently for them to feel they might get away with it. However, moving troops are more vulnerable and easy to see so insisting they move in view of the enemy carries obvious risk.

Having said that, once you've established fire superiority (two or three squads to one) ordering one or two units to close with the enemy should eventually clear the position as the enemy become increasingly suppressed and return fire dwindles away.

Again, this does take time. Many times in Firefight, I've spent minutes giving no orders while my troops crawl through an enemy position I've ordered them to clear. It's all very realistic, IMO.

Another point to note about Firefight is that you will take casualties. Don't be discouraged by a lot of friendly wounds and kills. Remember that a Firefight scenario represents intense combat in a fairly balanced tactical situation. B-52s and MLRS are not on call. Highly trained, body-armoured troops are not going up against a bunch of untrained irregulars. It's going to bloody and you won't bring everybody home.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:17 am

Numeric superiority is just an adventage, it doesn't win a battle for sure. If you are inteligent, you can create supperority in some restricted batllefield and beat ennemy squad one by one.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:02 pm

Well, I'm fairly certain that's the sort of numeric superiority Andy Brown meant.