Map Symbols - Checkmarks?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Tomahawk

Map Symbols - Checkmarks?

Post by Tomahawk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I just started playing Firefight, and I noticed some "checkmarks" on the screen - especially next to buildings. I can't seem to find out what they mean. What are they?

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:57 pm

If you're asking about what I think you're asking about, those are the dead. Note that it's possible for soldiers to be killed out of line-of-sight of a friendly unit and for them to show up dead when they're finally spotted by one of your guys.

Andy Brown

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 am

Andy Brown wrote:If you're asking about what I think you're asking about, those are the dead. Note that it's possible for soldiers to be killed out of line-of-sight of a friendly unit and for them to show up dead when they're finally spotted by one of your guys.

Andy Brown

I don't think that's it. I've started missions and seen buildings (I'm playing the North African campaign as the Americans) with distinct black checkmarks next to them.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 pm

Might be some bug in the display of shadows. I believe shadows are displayed using dithering, that is they are a very fine chessboard pattern (black and transparent) superimposed on the scenery wherever shadows are needed. Might be that got somewhat misscaled. Are you playing on an in any way extraordinary system?

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 am

TheKangaroo wrote:Might be some bug in the display of shadows. I believe shadows are displayed using dithering, that is they are a very fine chessboard pattern (black and transparent) superimposed on the scenery wherever shadows are needed. Might be that got somewhat misscaled. Are you playing on an in any way extraordinary system?

I don't think it's the shadows. I can see the shadows clearly, and the "checkmarks" are separate. My system is about five years old and, although I assembled it myself, is pretty vanilla.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:16 pm

How about a screenshot?

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:How about a screenshot?

I'll try.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 pm

I see what you mean. They definitely are some kind of bug. I'm not really proficient about the internal workings of the game, but I'd assume it's some sort of graphics driver setting causing this.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Something certainly seems to be not quite right there. Where are the tree shadows?

(Note: the fact that the building shadows don't seem to conform to the buildings seems to be a feature. The same thing happens on my system.)

Buildings don't seem to be showing up on the mini-map either.

That's version 4.0, right? Have you applied any mods or tried any graphics modding yourself?

Andy

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:26 am

Andy Brown wrote:Something certainly seems to be not quite right there. Where are the tree shadows?

(Note: the fact that the building shadows don't seem to conform to the buildings seems to be a feature. The same thing happens on my system.)

Buildings don't seem to be showing up on the mini-map either.

That's version 4.0, right? Have you applied any mods or tried any graphics modding yourself?

Andy

v4.0b, no mods. I also downloaded the latest drivers for my video card. It didn't make any difference.

The Arbiter

Post by The Arbiter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 pm

1)What Video Card are you using?

2)I would try a fresh install

3)If that doesn't work, re-download and install.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:33 pm

The Arbiter wrote:1)What Video Card are you using?

2)I would try a fresh install

3)If that doesn't work, re-download and install.

1) Radeon 9800 Pro with the latest drivers

2) Tried it. No change

3) I don't know how I can re-download. Also, I have version 4.0b. I've heard that there is a more recent version.

The Arbiter

Post by The Arbiter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 am

Ok, I would contact Sean himself by email(with your purchase info to prove you bought the game) and he should provide you a link to redownload the game.The Latest version is 4.1 with the new fractual hills.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Looks like some of the graphics files have got corrupted maybe? I'd recommend a fresh install to see if that solves the problem. If not let me know.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:Looks like some of the graphics files have got corrupted maybe? I'd recommend a fresh install to see if that solves the problem. If not let me know.

Sean,

I've discovered the problem. I had installed the game to a directory different from the default one ("C:\games\Firefight"). When I uninstalled, then reinstalled to the default directory ("C:\Program Files\Firefight"), all the graphical issues disappeared. You may want to change the code be more flexible about the location of the graphics files.

Thanks,
Tomahawk