Map Symbols - Checkmarks?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Sean,

I may have spoken too soon. MOST of the graphics look fine now, but my armor is almost invisible. The screenshot below should show two tanks and a halftrack. Instead, it shows two floating turrets (and an invisible halftrack).

-Tomahawk

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Tomahawk wrote:
Sean O'Connor wrote:Looks like some of the graphics files have got corrupted maybe? I'd recommend a fresh install to see if that solves the problem. If not let me know.

Sean,

I've discovered the problem. I had installed the game to a directory different from the default one ("C:\games\Firefight"). When I uninstalled, then reinstalled to the default directory ("C:\Program Files\Firefight"), all the graphical issues disappeared. You may want to change the code be more flexible about the location of the graphics files.

Thanks,
Tomahawk

Must have been a quirk with your install; mine's installed in a different folder and works fine.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Sean,

I think I have found the issue. I uninstalled, and used "regedit" to remove any references to Firefight, so that everything was "clean." I reinstalled to C:\games\Firefight. Everything looks fine. I tried starting multiple campaigns and multiple single games - everything still looked fine. However, when I moved the Firefight program group in the Start menu from "All Programs" to a within my "Games" program group, that's when the graphical issues happend as documented before. Do you have a suggestion, or will I just have to live with Firefight being in the "All Programs" menu?

Thanks,
Tomahawk

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm

Tomahawk wrote:Sean,

I think I have found the issue. I uninstalled, and used "regedit" to remove any references to Firefight, so that everything was "clean." I reinstalled to C:\games\Firefight. Everything looks fine. I tried starting multiple campaigns and multiple single games - everything still looked fine. However, when I moved the Firefight program group in the Start menu from "All Programs" to a within my "Games" program group, that's when the graphical issues happend as documented before. Do you have a suggestion, or will I just have to live with Firefight being in the "All Programs" menu?

Thanks,
Tomahawk

Yup, that's definitely it. I can now create and correct the graphics issues at will just by moving the Firefight program group around in the Start menu.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:50 pm

What operating system are you using?

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:34 am

Legacy wrote:What operating system are you using?

Windows XP, SP3

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 pm

A rather sketchy workaround that might help you is the following:
Make another shortcut to the game manually, put that where you want it (Games folder or something). Then leave the original shortcut where it is but hide it.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:51 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:A rather sketchy workaround that might help you is the following:
Make another shortcut to the game manually, put that where you want it (Games folder or something). Then leave the original shortcut where it is but hide it.

Or make a shortcut to the shortcut.

Or a shortcut to the folder containing the game, then manually launch it from the folder.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I manually made a shortcut to "Firefight.exe" in my "All Programs/Games" program group, and it works well. The only graphic that doesn't seem to work correctly is the "ruined building" one.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Very strange bug this! My guess is that some of the graphics aren't being loaded by Windows as there are just so many. Hopefully when I release 4.2 this will be solved for your computer as I've made it more efficient by only loading the graphics that it needs at that moment.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:Very strange bug this! My guess is that some of the graphics aren't being loaded by Windows as there are just so many. Hopefully when I release 4.2 this will be solved for your computer as I've made it more efficient by only loading the graphics that it needs at that moment.
Sean,

I had to do a re-install of Windows (for reasons unrelated to Firefight), and since then the graphics have worked fine.