Elite units in the defense?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Knut

Elite units in the defense?

Post by Knut » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Has anyone had any luck using Elite forces (Commandos, SS, Paras) in an infantry defensive game? I find I have rare luck with them, due to the small numbers of troops you can actually field. Too often they are quickly overwhelmed by an enemy that outnumbers the 3-4:1, and get off few shots before being suppressed and then wiped out.

I have much more success in using them in the assault, when their noticeable tendency to use cover, and move forward in jumps makes them fun to behold as they look like real soldiers doing their thing.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 am

I've always found that Firefight favours quantity over quality. I firmly believe that the purchase point cost of ELITE soldiers is too high. I've modded my files so that RAW units are about 50% RAW troops and 50% REGULAR while ELITE units are 50% REGULAR and 50% ELITE. I find that this still provides noticeable differences in quality but it reduces the numerical advantage of the lower calibre troops.

Because troops take suppression from shots landing near them, poorer troops can still suppress fairly effectively even if they don't actually hit anything. ELITE troops may take less suppression from each near miss but those numbers quickly add up.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

Knut

Post by Knut » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 pm

That's interesting. I've never considered mixing levels within the same unit. I'll have to try that. The only other tactic I've had success with is to keep one unit hidden on a far flank in a sort of reserve, and then bring it up behind the attacker at the point when things seem most dire. Having enemy troops behind it seems to play a little havoc with the AI sometimes.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah, the troops don't seem to like being fired at from more than one direction and they don't seem to like enemy between them and their baseline.

A mate of mine once played an attacking game where he infiltrated his whole force up one side of the map and approached the objective undetected from the enemy edge. Once the enemy realised such large numbers of their opponents were on the objective between them and their baseline, they surrended en masse without a shot being fired. "Superb" victory, no casualties. I've never done it myself.

One of the thngs I've tried with unit modding is to insert an ELITE "designated marksman" (he's not really accurate enough to be called a sniper :) ) in a predominantly REGULAR squad. Extra ammo, no grenades.

Also, if you are going to use more than one troop class in a squad, I find that varying the number of grenades (say, RAW x 2, REGULAR x 4, ELITE x 5) helps keep track of who's who if you like to do that.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:59 am

Andy Brown wrote:A mate of mine once played an attacking game where he infiltrated his whole force up one side of the map and approached the objective undetected from the enemy edge.

You can do it on this scenario.

Deploy all tps at the bottom right of the map and march them up the right edge and as far as you like across the top.
Game parameters were
823075, july 1944, lowlands, Belgium, you german, en british.

I have tried it a couple of ways, only inf and inf+tanks. I am going to try leaving most of my attackers in front and sending a small force right around.
Voila du boudin!

JeanBoule

The map

Post by JeanBoule » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 am

Try this

At the start of the game, there is a section of enemy in the village.
The rest are on the hills in the centre and on the left. There are no enemy on the right half of the map.
Voila du boudin!

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:31 pm

I have never see any difference beetween raw, regular and elite troop. so, i favorise the number.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.