[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Some questions / complaints about the game

Some questions / complaints about the game

Real time World War II combat simulation

Some questions / complaints about the game

Postby fatgreta1066 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 am

Hi,

I've played the demo mission a few times. The game seems promising, but a few things stand out as downers for me. Any feedback on how to work around them?

1) It is, as far as I can tell, impossible to know if you will be able to fire from any one position on the map to another. The terrain isn't detailed enough, and there's no way I can see to gauge, for instance, how high an intervening shrub or bocage is. So I advance my troops to the tops of hills looking for fire lanes, and then can't fire, sometimes even 3 or 4 meters, forward of where I am. This happens even on the tops of hills that are clear of all woods, etc. So, it seems impossible to really plan out an assault, because there's no way to know if you'll have clear fire lanes. This is my main complaint about the game, and alleviating it would likely override my next set of concerns. Or am I missing it, and is there an LOS tool that I haven't found?

2) Even when firefights break out and get hot, there is no way to know where the enemy is except for following the tracers backward. It seems to me that once troops take some fire from a position, they could identify that position as containing the enemy, so there should be some way to mark it on the map, or something.

3) At least in the demo, my troops seem to become "suppressed" if the wind blows. As soon as they take any fire, they become suppressed, and I don't really know what to do about that except wait it out. I can't bring smoke in on every squad that becomes suppressed, every time it happens. I can't even get them to pull back to safety.

4) Moving troops into position is pretty difficult using the arrows. Sometimes they move right up behind where the arrow rests. Sometimes, even without taking enemy fire, they just won't move forward anywhere near the spot I've send them to, in command or not.

Any feedback on these issues, or ideas about dealing with them?

Thanks,

Chris
fatgreta1066

Postby TheKangaroo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:01 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby the space predator » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 am

I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Return to Firefight