First time shipbuilds

Command a squadron of spaceships
shrike

First time shipbuilds

Post by shrike » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these boards. I'm a long time fan of Critical Mass, though I only purchased the game yesterday. ( I survived on the version 2.0 demo if you can believe that o.O )

I couldn't wait to build some ships in the ship designer, and this is what I came up with. I'm sure they don't preform amazingly, but its more the appearance I was going for :)

I'll post the files if anyone is interested. I mostly wanted to know what everyone thought. C&C appreciated!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Welcome aboard. I myself lived on two versions of the demo for a while until I one day had some money in my hand and thought to myself it was time.
Neat ships, but I have the faint feeling I might guess your source of design inspiration... :wink:
Looking at them I figure they might perform just well. I personally build my ships in that price range usually with a lot less shields, but that's the sort of thing that's down to taste.

shrike

Post by shrike » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah... they are a bit derivative eh? I have found the A and X wings to be very effective however. The X wing particularly does well in the hands of my wingman, and the A Wing is extremely deadly when one keeps the fights inside asteroid fields due to its very high acceleration. The downside to its uber asteroid skills is it is unable to out turn those little yellow missiles if they are fired at the wrong moment, hence the extra shields.

Honestly, I think I will move the shields to the front and rear, as I almost never get hit on the sides with the kind of acceleration that ship is capable of.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Sounds like a plan. Also keep in mind the Daycorn missiles (the yellow ones) have very limited fuel, so you can actually try and outrun them.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 pm

They look great - very detailed.

I have a few criticisms on the actual designs - obviously it's a matter of taste, but...

I think the rear shields are a huge waste of money.
With just the money you would save by removing those two shields, you could give the A-Wing an extra launcher, another set of missiles, and two more scanners.
In the case of the X-Wing, that money would be better spent on more missiles - 3 sets is nowhere near enough for a ship with 4 lauchers.

I find it more useful to have 4 front scanners, rather than 2 on the front and 1 on each side.

I love the Plectron-Daycorn combination, but I think it's better to have more of the Plectrons - otherwise you won't have enough firepower to take out static installations.

If you've seen my "Polaris" custom designs, you'll know I'm a big fan of high-thrust ships. However, I've found that anything over about 75 is overkill - the extra engines are a waste of money and reduce handling. My current favourite has both speed and thrust of 65, which I feel gives the best overall agility.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Its good ship. But there is not nough missile
I need to write something, so i create that signature.