[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Two new missile types

Two new missile types

Command a squadron of spaceships

Two new missile types

Postby BoxZone_Author » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:07 pm

I have had ideas for two new misile types

1] Anti-missile missile. Will actively strike and destroy incoming missiles. Very fast and very good turn but very small warhead. Obviously it needs to miss 50% of the time (or more) or static defences would be too hard to destroy.

2] Scanner missile. Range of Orik (orange) possibly slower and with a small (or no) warhead but acts like a scanner. This one should be green (like the scanners).
BoxZone_Author

Postby OrigamiGuy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm all about having a scanner missile (radar missile? probe?) in the game. You could simply increase their cost and weight to balance out the advantages.

I don't know about an anti-missile missile, though. What about something like countermeasures? You could have in a missile slot five rounds of chaff that would deploy behind your ship, and missiles headed into the small cloud (about 3/4 of a ship's size, in my mind) would have a certain chance of exploding, depending on their size. Plectrons (being unguided) would have the least chance of exploding, and Daycorns (the smallest warhead, so probably the smallest targeting computer) would almost always explode. It would encourage more skillful use of bigger missiles, rather than the enemy pounding you with Drachans from two screens away.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:33 am

I'm thinking a proximity missile, where it explodes when it gets close to things but is average strength. It should do splash damage, including on friendlies.

This wouldn't be too cheap, because asteroids will trigger it, and the proximity could be made to have to be pretty close to cause detonation. The strength could be changed to ensure it isn't abused.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby supercubedude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:15 pm

I like the the ideas of a radar misslie and a proxy misslie.

How about the Fullback misslie. It would have about the same turning and payload as the Yatari, but would not only destroy the target, but burst right through it, and on to another couple of targets before finally exploding. It would wreak havoc on staic fortifications.

That's not very realistic, but it's cool, no? :wink:
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!
supercubedude

Postby OrigamiGuy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:41 pm

Actually, the U.S. Army has grenade launchers with distance fuses that ignore impact, so someone can fire a grenade through a wall and it won't explode until it gets through to the other side. They're pretty cool. So a penetrating missile wouldn't be unrealistic at all, though I don't know how useful they'd be unless you were in a war-type mission. The only guaranteed good use I can think of is taking out lines of transmitters.
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:25 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby supercubedude » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:18 pm

Clusters would be interesting. Unload some at the initial confrontation with the enemy, and take control of the confusion. Nice.

About that name for my misslie, I still don't know how Sean comes up with the names for any of those. It's all greek to me.
supercubedude

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Greek...not a bad idea...
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:29 pm

What about a more expensive (smarter) version of the Drachan (white).
The existing one "Will not target an friend if it cas see an ememy" however, if it can't see an enemy (because they are out of range or have already been destroyed) it will happily detonate on a friend. I would like a varient of the Drachan (white) that will not detonate on friends (bounce harmlesslely off). Understandably this missile should cost more than the standard Drachan.
BoxZone_Author

Postby Admiral Slim » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:14 am

Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!
Admiral Slim

Postby OrigamiGuy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 pm

OrigamiGuy

Postby supercubedude » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:02 pm

supercubedude

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:22 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Admiral Slim » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:05 am

Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!
Admiral Slim

Postby PlecTron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:48 am

umm yeah i know i LOVE plecs *BUT* i never seem to get a promotion cause im using them all on motionless objectives and by then my wingmen have caused everyone to start hyperspace so i can never hit them before they are gone!
WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "Critical System Errror"?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
PlecTron

Next

Return to Critical Mass