Polish

Real time World War II combat simulation
the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:44 pm

And after that, Polish 1ts airborne brigade have figth in many batle. And a Polish governement have been created at London and was constitued of important Polish politician.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:51 am

usmc61 wrote:The Poles had cossack-like cavalry. To combat the blitzkrieg, they would have mass cavalry charges against the tanks. Surprisingly, these sometimes went pretty well. I believe they had a few tanks, most likely WW1 era tanls though.
There weren't any "massive cavalry charges against the tanks" during the defensive war of 1939.
Polish cavalry was used as dragoons - they fought on foot and used horses for transport and used sometimes cavalry charges against infantry, often with very good results.
There was one battle where the cavalry ran in general direction of tanks in order to break out of an encirclement, which ended in success.

The myth of the Polish cavalry charging tanks and getting slaughtered comes from one encounter where the Polish cavalry attacked German infantry battalion and decimated them in a cavalry charge.
When the engagement was ending a group of German armoured cars arrived and started firing at them.
The cavalry has withdrawn, losing 20 men.
This incident was exaggerated by Germans and used for propaganda purposes.

When fighting tanks, cavalry was dismounted and was using anti-tank rifles and 37mm AT guns - each cavalry brigade had 14 such guns.

More info about war in 1939 can be found in Osprey's Poland 1939 The birth of Blitzkrieg by Stephen J. Zaloga.
Zenji.yamada.nihon wrote:I made Polish campaign:
1/SEP/1939, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_POLAND, TERRAIN_FORESTS
12/SEP/1939, GERMAN, ATTACK, COUNTRY_POLAND, TERRAIN_VILLAGES
17/SEP/1939, RUSSIAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_POLAND, TERRAIN_FORESTS

But there isn't Poland as a country. I think that Poland did more things until WWII than, in example Netherlands (Polish forces defended Poland for 5 weeks; Dutch forces defended their country for 6 days).
Polish II Corps was fighting in North Africa and Italia - they were fighting in Tobruk and Monte Cassino.
Two Polish divisions fought in France 1940:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Grenadier_Division
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Inf ... s_Division

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 pm

At Cassino? I don't remeber that.
The myth of the Polish cavalry charging tanks and getting slaughtered comes from one encounter where the Polish cavalry attacked German infantry battalion and decimated them in a cavalry charge.
When the engagement was ending a group of German armoured cars arrived and started firing at them.
The cavalry has withdrawn, losing 20 men.
This incident was exaggerated by Germans and used for propaganda purposes.
but it still a good idea to do.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:47 pm

The Polish participated, if I'm not mistaken, in the last assault on Cassino in May. A Polish unit in fact raised the first Allied flag over the devastated monastery.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 pm

I think it was the "goumier"

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am

I looked around a bit and found the famous photograph showing the first flag to be raised over the monastery to be of the Polish corps.
The short reading I did on it while searching indicated the French and Marrocan forces saw action on the far left flank, trying to bypass the monastery completely.

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

My great grandad fought at Monte Cassino. He was in the Polish Second corps, in the Polish Warsaw 2nd Armored.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Did he survive?

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Yeah. He definitely survived. He died before I was born though so I never met him unfortunately.