Can't see how the computer got through my defence!

Conquer the island
panicboy

Can't see how the computer got through my defence!

Post by panicboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 am

I'm playing a "very hard" map (can't say which it is as the game is still in progress, heh) and I set up a defence which I thought was water tight, but the computer got through it.

I'm on a neck of the island where the only way through is 6 hexagons wide (going diagonally). I put a knight on hexagons 2 and 5, so we have 1 and 3 guarded by the one on 2 and 4 and 6 guarded by the one on 5.

As I understand it, you can't put a piece of a certain rank on a hexagon adjoining one of the same rank of your opponent's. The only way I could see through this defence would be for the computer to use a baron. But it punched through with a knight, two spearmen and two peasants. No sign of a baron.

How? I'm not allowed to do that! Am I missing a key rule?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Do you own all 6 of those hexagons? You only protect hexagons that you own.

panicboy

Post by panicboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:04 am

At the time I thought so, but now I'm not so sure any more. It happened twice, and the first time was a bigger area and perhaps I just miscalculated the areas and left too big a gap. As you can't go back a turn to see what it was like it's hard to say now! There may well have been a gap the second time and I didn't notice.