[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Utterly stuck on 330

Utterly stuck on 330

Conquer the island

Utterly stuck on 330

Postby malairt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 am

malairt

Postby Legacy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 am

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Legacy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:14 am

Legacy

Postby Fusion_power » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

Fusion_power

Postby the space predator » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby malairt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks guys - at least I know somebody else has done it so I'll try again.

I can never get the central empire going strongly enough to be in a position to cut brown.

Do you put your initial starting castle (in the centre) beside your HQ or at the top of your burgeoning empire? Assuming you go for a quick starting knght there?
malairt

Postby malairt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Surrender on day 28. Thanks for the comments. I was really annoyed to have only one map which I just couldn't beat.

And thanks to Sean for, mmmm, lots, of years of entertainment.
malairt

Postby Legacy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't know that I had any castles until I was holding off yellow to the east... the key is to actually not dive straight into the merger in the center. You win or lose this map in the first five turns or so, and the first three or four determine how long it takes you to win or lose. And always wait as long as possible to build knights, as they are a huge drain on resources. Think of it this way: A peasant costs two points to maintain for a turn, so in two turns it can capture enough land to pay its upkeep, after that it is profit. A knight has to capture a hex every turn for 18 turns to start paying its keep, so by the time you get one, it may never pay for itself. That's a simplified way of looking at it, as it doesn't account for losing territory on a given turn, but it makes a nice baseline. The initial cost of units is relatively insignificant, especially for the higher ups. Barons, for instance, cost more in upkeep per turn than they cost to build.

Legacy

Postby malairt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:31 am

I'm not sure I get you Legacy. Knights cost 6 per go and as you will almost certainly convert 2 peasants to a knight, the net extra drain on your resources is only 2. So I can't see how it takes 18 turns to repay its cost. In any case, if you wait too long, your neighbour will undoubtedly have one and disect your holdings. Your advice would lead to an early bath I fear.

The point at which you convert 2 peons to a knight is a personal one and depends on your ability to expand using peasants and your fear of the folks next door. There comes a point when you can't expand as there are peasants and huts everywhere: to continue you need a knight.

In my case, a castle was essential to guard the hut from an early green knight while I expanded Northward.
malairt

Postby Legacy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Knights are the third tier units that wipe out castles. Spearmen are what two peasants fuse into.

Legacy

Postby Fusion_power » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:56 pm

space predator,

I am playing the same game you are, but I play it much better than most.

I don't know if any of the old crew are around, but in online games at least 2 other players almost always have to gang up to beat me. 5 of us did a lot of the beta testing for slay version 4.

DarJones
Fusion_power

Postby the space predator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm

I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby Made in China » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 pm

"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them." William Shakespeare
Made in China

Return to Slay