Gun pathing problems...

Real time World War II combat simulation
Perturabo

Gun pathing problems...

Post by Perturabo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am

I have noticed that guns tend to do some very weird stuff when they are ordered to move.
They often move forward, even when they are ordered to retreat.
I tried to order a 57mm AT gun to move backwards for 15 minutes, without positive results.
At first it did nothing, then after several attempts it started moving forward.
Several orders later it finally started turning around. When it was almost in the right direction, I have repositioned the destination marker slightly to get it in the best position to take a shot at a japanese tank that has captured my objective, it started (very slowly) turning around, in the opposite direction.
When ordered again, it started to move forward again, etc. etc. etc.

It was rather annoying.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

OK, I'll take a look into that

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 19, 2010 11:20 pm

I have see the same thing whit tank, but only when I have given the order to shoot
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Knut

Post by Knut » Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 am

Guns in real life were basically imobile without the support of a towing vehicle. Even then, it would take at least 10 minutes for a full crew to limber and hitch up a anti-tank gun for movement. The fact that any mobility of the guns in fiefight is basically unrealistic, but expecting to be able to move any gun in any direction over rough ground using only a handful of crewmen is is even more unrealistic, and further, to expect to be able to do so in a moments notice borders on the absurdity.

In the game, the best way to move a gun in the direction you want it to first oreder the gun to fire in the direction you want, and then, once it is turned and almost ready to fire, cancel the fire order, and move it in that direction. This is the qucikest in game method to get the gun where you want it to go.

But a more realistic mod would be to make all guns over, say, 40mm, immobile.