AI suggestion

Conquer the island
flap

AI suggestion

Post by flap » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Hello,

I have notices that the IA don't use much one strategy which is often a winner for me: sending a "tentacula" to either split the enemies territory in 2 and kill the bigger group of its force or to connect a remote bit of land.

With clever placing of strong men or enough weak one it is possible to be quite safe and not being cut

Might it be a future AI improvement ?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am

Yes, the AI definitely could be improved, especially for the later stages of the game. The AI is actually basically unchanged from the days when I first wrote this game on a 25MHz 486 so with computers being a lot more powerful these days there is room for improvement.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 am

Sean,

If you decide to tackle improving the AI, send me a message. I have about a dozen changes that can be made.

1. The AI does not know how to properly attack a castle. Many times it will build 3 or 4 knights and repeatedly kill the capital instead of using just one knight to kill the castle and then mop up with peasants and spearmen.

2. The AI uses a weak protection strategy. It will often leave a large part of its territory undefended and wide open to being cut in two.

3. The AI attacks weak enemies and stays away from strong enemies. This should be modified. Weak enemies can be beaten later. It is the strong enemy that should be focused on.

4. The AI does a poor job of destroying trees and will often let them get out of control until it runs out of money for that territory. There are times when this is a good strategy because it unleashes a wave of trees on the enemy. Other times would be better to wipe out the trees.

There are tons more.

DarJones