[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - iPhone version suggestions

iPhone version suggestions

Conquer the island

iPhone version suggestions

Postby Spacehulk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Can you increase the size of the maps? Not the hexes, the sea zones, there are some maps where it is very difficult to place units in the upper left because the overlay map is in the way and you can't scroll far enough over. Also, In these same areas you can not see through the overlay well enought to see what is behind it.

On these maps, the ONLY way to attack some hexes is to switch it to "left hand" mode because you can select a territory to attack through the information panel overlay.

Increasing the size of the sea areas would fix the problem by allowing you to scroll the map farther.

Here is more of a suggestion, maybe a option you can turn on/off as a preference.

It would be nice to know an enemy regions income (net is fine) and balance. Clicking on that region should provide that info in the information window in the top right. I find my self having to count out hexes to see if I can cut off an enemy when I should be able to cut off the enemy, and click the newly formed regions and have it tell me if it will go bankrupt. It is frustrating to count hexes when I know the info is readily available.

Any plans to make the iPhone version multi-player?
Spacehulk

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, I should have added more sea around the edges of the island. There's a new update that should go live any day now (version 2.2) and when I do another update I'll add more sea.

I'd like to do a network version too but I've just got to find some spare time to learn how to do that!
Sean OConnor

Postby Spacehulk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks Sean.

One more....

After a map is won , once the the "close" button appears, if you hit the iPhone Home button to exit, the map is not considered won.

Sure it is easy to change my habits, but I normally close apps by hitting the home button and I am sure I am not the only one.

P.S. Any comment about my other suggestion, clicking on an enemy region should provide stats?
Spacehulk

Postby Swidge » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi, I got the iPhone version of Slay a couple of weeks ago and have been addicted to it ever since. Thanks for such a brilliant game.

I would like to ask if it is possible to have multi player added to the game. I like the idea of network opponents, but would prefer the idea of having multiple players on the same phone as I have iphoneless friends I'd love to play against.

Also, I'd like to mention that the new update, 2.2 is crashing on my iphone. It will unexpectedly quit and exit to the home screen. When I reopen it it has lost my game progress. It's done this a few times now in the days since the update.

I hope it's not difficult to fix.

Thanks for the game.
Swidge

Postby eagle47benny » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Another nice feature would be to move the game data to the cloud (thought a service such as openfeint) so your progress can be shared across multiple devices (iPad and iPhone for instance).
eagle47benny

Postby eagle47benny » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:45 pm

@Swidge Have you restarted your iPhone since you installed the update? I was experiencing similar behavior, and a restart appears to have fixed it.
eagle47benny

Postby Swidge » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Ah, I have not. Don't usually think of that on the iphone. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.
Swidge

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I've spent all day looking at this issue and I think I'll be able to solve it. I think what's happening is that when a device gets low on memory it calls out to all the apps that are running and forces them to free up some of the resources it thinks each app doesn't need. It may have been less harsh if you built your app for iOS 2.x than if (as Slay is now) for iOS 3.x. If I fake a Low Memory Warning to Slay on the simulator it will always crash next time you tap as the graphics it was about to draw have been freed up by the OS. I think I've worked out now how to get Slay to reload what is needed and allow the OS to free up what isn't.

In the meantime rebooting your iPhone is a very good idea as it frees up any leaked memory from other apps. I'm pretty sure it's not Slay itself that is leaking memory, but once the iPhone asks Slay if it can free up memory because other apps have been eating memory Slay will die.

Sorry about that and I'll get a fix out asap!
Sean OConnor

Repeated Crashes

Postby iwbyte » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:10 am

iwbyte

`

Postby Spacehulk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Spacehulk

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Spacehulk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Seems stable now.
Spacehulk

Postby iwbyte » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Yup, works great - thanks for the update
iwbyte

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Great! Thanks for letting me know and I'll be more careful in the future to check my apps for problems caused by these Low Memory Warnings.
Sean OConnor

Postby Haze » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 am

Some ideas to possibly add for iPhone slay.

Many have said it, more maps. I've noticed windows has a map maker that could be nice (possibly difficult to do but nice)

Small things. I would like a warning before starting a new map. Many times I finish a map and hit the clear button than find myself in a new unexpected map (due to impatiently double clicking, in case the first touch wasn't recognized)

There is also the occasional issues with the buttons on the bottom of the war map. Try to touch a lower square and have the end turn or surrender button activate instead. This has frustrated me a bit with large maps 13+ turns in. Most likely my fault.

Otherwise I can think of nothing else at the moment. Excellent game and now that I know you have more stuff out there I might have to try out some of it. Thanks for an excellent strategy game.
Haze

Next

Return to Slay