iPad version of Slay?

Conquer the island
reidme

Post by reidme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:48 pm

I got it and I'm loving it! FYI, at first it was crashing when I opened an island in portrait view (but not landscape), but after cycling the power on my iPad it's working fine.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm just about finished on a fix for the crashing problems. What's happening is that devices sometimes send Low Memory warnings to the running app. It seems like if you compiled your app for OS 2.x it wasn't quite as harsh (but I think that caused some people to see the Map and Buy windows in the wrong place occasionally). This latest version is compiled for 3.x and it seems like 3.x frees up the graphics too unless the developer has specifically told it not to. If the graphics get freed up then the game crashes next time you click on something.

Rebooting your device is a good idea as it frees up any memory that other apps have leaked. As long as the current version of Slay is never told there's a low memory warning it'll keep running. The version I'm nearly done with will cope fine even when sent a warning.

morgan3d

Slay on iPad is great

Post by morgan3d » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:03 pm

There really aren't many games with depth on the iPad and Slay is a very welcome addition to the platform.

I have some suggestions for improving the game from a first-time user's perspective, and didn't want to hurt your sales by posting them in an iTunes review. These probably apply to all versions of Slay but may be more important on the iPad screen.

For making it immediately clear what you own and that the different colors are territories, not Settlers of Catan-style terrain variations, and for making it easier to see what you can do:

* Default to the pastel color scheme on the first startup
* Color people and buildings by their territory
* Always show the outlines of your territory, and then make the outline thicker or highlight the tiles when selected
* Use colors with varying brightness, not just hue (the textures are an excellent addition as a visual cue!)

For helping with the strategy:

* Explain towers explicitly in the instructions
* Show the income of each territory more clearly
* Change the house icon when more men/towers are available for purchase there
* Ensure that the mini-map font is sharp; iPad buyers seem to get really annoyed by anything blurry that looks like a resized iPhone graphics

mucde

Post by mucde » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I've been playing Slay off and on since version 1.0 or 2.0 for Windows. The iPad version is definitely a winner.

The screen resolution and sensitivity of the iPad is good enough to be able to play most maps full screen. The only problem with this is that at the end of a turn, it always zooms in (the degree to which it does this does vary depending on whether you have "end turn auto zoom out" enabled), but from full screen it always zooms in. Would be nice to have that as an option, or adjusted to fit the iPad resolution.

The other things to tweak are things already known; size of mini map and buy window, and amount of sea around the island (I have found that by zooming in, most squares can be reached).

Great stuff. :)

Thanks Sean.

PhysicsRules

Drag & Drop

Post by PhysicsRules » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:20 am

As a long-time fan of Slay, I bought the game first thing after getting my iPad started.

I find the iPad a great platform for Slay and mainly it was a great pleasure to play the game in this way on the couch, but I was a bit disappointed with the interface of the game.

Mainly, I was surprised I can't drap/drop the men, as I was used from the Windows / Palm / WM games. Especially on the iPad you would expect this to be able.

Secondly, it often is the case that nothing happens when I press a hexagon to place a man. Maybe my fingers are to fat, but it is quite annoying having to push a hexagon multiple times and even something finding the men ending up in adjecent hexagons.

Sean, is it possible to add/fix this in future updates?

rinaharrison

Post by rinaharrison » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:46 pm

This version of Slay Lite is optimized for the iPad, meaning that you can enjoy the full Slay Lite experience on the big screen.

robotom

Post by robotom » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:50 am

One problem I ran into on the iPad version was when the interface boxes were on top of my men as the islands stretched out too far in the corners.

I got around the problem by zooming in like crazy but it's still a little bit annoying :)

steenkh

Difficulty

Post by steenkh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 pm

How do I get the higher levels of difficulty? So far I have only encountered the easiest level, and it is way too easy!

Steen

steenkh

Re: Difficulty

Post by steenkh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:35 am

steenkh wrote:How do I get the higher levels of difficulty? So far I have only encountered the easiest level, and it is way too easy!

OK, I have got it! It seems that I have to work my way down vertically in order to get at the more difficult levels.

In the other versions one could choose a difficulty. I wonder why this is not mentioned in the game.

johncna

Problems with iPad2

Post by johncna » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:58 pm

We just received an iPad2, iOS 4.3.2 and I noticed that Slay does not pay attention to the system volume setting. It runs at full volume, which is somewhat annoying. It does respect system mute. And of course you can mute all sound in the Slay prefs. So the choice seems to be full volume or no sound at all.

Robberson

Post by Robberson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 am

The other things to tweak are things already known; size of mini map and buy window, and amount of sea around the island (I have found that by zooming in, most squares can be reached).

Robberson

Post by Robberson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipad 2 accessoriesipad2 caseipad 2 leather cases

michaelstein1980

Post by michaelstein1980 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Since I just turned into a proud owner of a Blackberry Playbook, I am wondering is this games is also available for a Playbook?!? I am not able to find it in the App Store.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Sorry, but I haven't got time at the moment to learn how to program on Blackberries.