Mission Code

Real time World War II combat simulation
Perturabo

Mission Code

Post by Perturabo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 am

Does anyone know if there's any relationships between the numbers in mission code and the terrain?
Is it some kind of a description of the terrain or just a number of a map that is stored somewhere?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

It's just the number that the game uses for the random number "seed". If you use the same seed when you ask a computer to spit out a list of 'random' numbers it will always give the same list of random numbers. So you can recreate a map in Firefight if you enter the same seed again.

On games where I want the numbers to be different each time (say on distributing the territories in Conquest) I use the number if milliseconds that your computer has been running for as the seed. That way each time you start a new game you have a different distribution of territories.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:18 am

Sean, in some subsequent version of Firefight, could you display the random seed for campaign games as well as for stand alone scenario and generated games. Many times I've come across campaign maps that I'd love to use in generated games.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 am

Good point that Andy. I'll do that in the next update but I can't promise when that'll be.