Use of Smoke

Real time World War II combat simulation
hijak431

Use of Smoke

Post by hijak431 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 am

What purpose does using smoke actually serve. it never seems to actually block a field of view and enemies often continue to fire when I have dropped smoke on them.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

I find that smoke works quite well if you position it correctly. Before targeting it, make sure you check the wind direction (<View> <Mission Objective> from the menu bar, top left of the screen).

Placed correctly, it does break LoS and enable troops pinned by fire to withdraw (provided they're not engaged from other directions as well). It's also a good workaround for AFVs that won't obey move orders because they insist on engaging visible anti-armour threats. Screen the AFV from possible targets using smoke and it'll follow your commands again.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

Knut

Smoke

Post by Knut » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Anyone use smoke for reasons other than the above? I've considered using it for masking assaults, but never really gotten around to it, generally using suppressive fire instead. I think it could work well for infiltrations as well.

hijak431

Post by hijak431 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Ive tried to use it to mask attacks but this often has the duel effect of my supressing sections ceasing fire rather than using it as target indication.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:35 pm

I occasionally use it offensively provided the wind is favourable. The trick is not to try and attack through the smoke, since - as you just said - it blocks the view for your own support elements, too. I either put it up right in front of the enemy so I can maneouvre squads into positions they can conveniently provide covering fire from or very close to the enemy to jump them as soon as the smoke clears, or I put smoke behind their first line preventing their support fire from being brought in and so effectively cutting off the portion of their force I'm going to attack.

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:13 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:I occasionally use it offensively provided the wind is favourable. The trick is not to try and attack through the smoke, since - as you just said - it blocks the view for your own support elements, too. I either put it up right in front of the enemy so I can maneouvre squads into positions they can conveniently provide covering fire from or very close to the enemy to jump them as soon as the smoke clears, or I put smoke behind their first line preventing their support fire from being brought in and so effectively cutting off the portion of their force I'm going to attack.

That's pretty good. I like the idea of using it to isolate enemy units from supporting fire. Will have to try that one if the circumstances arise - I imagine two nearby farms each occupied by a squad. That way you can save the HE shells for more important missions.

hijak431

Post by hijak431 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 am

Has anyone tried using the same principal identified above whilst on the defence, i.e using smoke to cut off one portion of the enemy force's fire so that the rest of their troops become supressed by your fire?

I Tried this last night and is worked, until the enemy used my own smoke to flank me! Still I wonder if the principal would work against HMG's or artillery?

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:59 pm

I use smoke only to change the position of a suppressed sqad. I don't see any other good use.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

andrew516

Post by andrew516 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:38 am

In defence when you have nothing left with any real range to stop their remaining armour, dump smoke on your own objective and keep flamethrowers or other infantry anti tank weapons on the flag. Their armour will rush the objective but wont be able to do jack to your man due to smoke blocking LOS. sneak those flamethrowers up and presto, dead tanks.

I have never used smoke behind the enemy to isolate a position but can see now how this would work. I find it blocks enemy LOS best when dumped right in front of the guys you want to block. I also argee with the plan of using it in assault to infiltrate to a good jumping off point from which to launch a rush assault when the smoke clears, under a thorough volley of friendly supressing fire of course. :P

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Not sure it helps much. I mostly just use smoke in front of heavy enemy positions to hide an advance I'm making, more to make me feel a little less bad about sending my hammer-blow of reserve infantry to their deaths than for any practical good it does.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 pm

more to make me feel a little less bad about sending my hammer-blow of reserve infantry to their deaths
?Die for Russia!? certainly was a kick-ass motivational motto, wasn't it?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:
more to make me feel a little less bad about sending my hammer-blow of reserve infantry to their deaths
?Die for Russia!? certainly was a kick-ass motivational motto, wasn't it?
Truth in advertising.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!