[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - I was just thinking...

I was just thinking...

Real time World War II combat simulation

I was just thinking...

Postby Legacy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:07 pm

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby the space predator » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 am

I have not pay attention to this before, but you are rigth. It's the same thing with the movie. American side, british side, russian side, sometimes french side, but rarely german side
I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm

That's more than slightly depending on game genre and release time, I reckon. Shooter games generally don't have German or Japanese campaigns, obviously for immersion and identification reasons; they want the player to be a 'good guy' eventually and setting up an axis side campaign with the detail necessary for a 'close up' kind of game would either jeopardise that plan or make it ridiculous very quickly. (Remember the public outcry over some scene in a game that lets the player kill innocent people?)
Strategy games are a whole other affair. Pretty much all of the older ones had axis campaigns, some even rather prominently (Panzer General?), but lately it seems there has been a decline in that. My theory on that is, that most more recent strategy games are rather 'action strategy', with a lot of flash and effects, while in the old days a large portion of those games were about playing out how different decisions by the involved commanders would have influenced the famous battles. But it might also be that similar arguments as for shooting games apply.
Simulations finally are completely different in that regard. Both in the past and present there have been two major currents in simulation: those that do one single tank/aircraft/submarine/horse carriage only, but that one in full detail and those that have a bit of a wider spectrum but slightly less sophisticated execution. The latter usually lets you play as both sides, today often simply because vehicles for both sides would be necessary for multiplayer and after you make for example a model of the plane, making some missions to go with it is a rather small affair.

So what does it come down to? Money and time, I guess. Depending on the case putting together a campaign for the other side means a lot of work or might even compromise the company in the media, which they don't seem to like despite it boosting sales a lot.
TheKangaroo

Postby Legacy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 am

Legacy

Postby the space predator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby Legacy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:25 am

Legacy

Postby TheKangaroo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby Perturabo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Medal of Honour: SS "Dirlewanger" would be awesome :lol: .

Generally, I love playing bad guys and lack of WWII FPS games from Nazi perspective is a huge disappoint to me.
Perturabo

Postby Perturabo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Perturabo

Postby the space predator » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:26 pm

the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby Perturabo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:20 am

Perturabo

Postby the space predator » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 pm

the space predator

Postby Perturabo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Perturabo

Return to Firefight