iPhone: are all maps winnable?

Conquer the island
panicboy

iPhone: are all maps winnable?

Post by panicboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I've been playing the little map called "pyfou" for ages now with no luck. Before I go crazy trying, could it be that there are some maps that are just not winnable? Or are they created so that every map has at least one solution?

ben

pyfou completed (iphone)

Post by ben » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:02 am

Pyfou - completed in 36 moves.
It took some time, but essentially you need to castle the south and south central villages in turn four (abandon the east), grow the western villages - split the neighbours, then split the north up when it comes to attack - this will weaken it a lot - your final opponent will be the north-east, but by that time the game is pretty much a standard win.

Yes, it was hard. :D.
So I don't know the answer to your question, but pyfou is possible :D

ben

:D

Post by ben » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:37 am

just in case you look at count of replies..

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

The maps are all created randomly but there are people who have done all of the maps on the Windows version which has the same maps as the iPhone version.

ben

Yet another feature request

Post by ben » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Ooh! That's interesting! Is there any way of telling which iphone maps correlate to the windows map numbers?

Yet another feature request comes from this - could you have an option to sort the islands by size (either land area as hexcount or area / coastline)?

It would be really good to be able to order the islands this way, as I go through phases of liking small, medium and large islands depending on just how tired I am... :D

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm

I have completed every single one of the challenge games. There are still 2 that took 24 days. Most take much less. I NEVER accept surrender so most players could win in less days than me with surrender.

DarJones

ben

Post by ben » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Fusion_power wrote:I have completed every single one of the challenge games. There are still 2 that took 24 days. Most take much less. I NEVER accept surrender so most players could win in less days than me with surrender.

DarJones
Okay - well, on the iPhone there is no option but to accept surrender. It's how the game ends. Also, the islands are named rather than numbered. If the island names are available on PC, I would really like to see the top ten hardest levels (in your opinion).

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:48 am

On the iPhone it asks if you want to accept the computers' surrender but you can still tap on the 'No' button.

The levels on the iPhone should be in approximately difficulty order as you work down the table. What I did is asked for people who had done all the levels on Windows (thanks DarJones!) to send me their high score tables and then sorted the islands in reverse average best number of days to win order. I know that's not always a perfect indication if an island is easy or not but I thought it would be more fun to slowly work through gradually increasingly difficult islands.

If you want to find what the equivalent Windows version number an island is do the "secret" double tap on the "Slay" title and you can change the islands to "random" order. They will now be in the same order as the Windows version but you'll need to hunt down the island's name in the table. Looks like Pyfou is island 15 on Windows.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Island 15 is relatively difficult. You can beat it in 18 days BUT there are many ways to goof this one up and only a couple of paths that result in a win. Consider yourself to be a very gifted amateur if you beat this one in less than 24 days. Beat it in less than 18 and you might be getting into the Slay Master class!

Playing Slay is similar in some ways to playing chess. You must anticipate every move your opponent(s) can make and ensure that your move enables you to counter.

DarJones

Made in China

Island 15

Post by Made in China » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 pm

what difficulty did you expect us to complete this Island in?

cos i've got it on 16 - stupid
"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them." William Shakespeare

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:30 pm

most islands are easy to win on Stupid.

DarJones

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Fusion_power wrote:most islands are easy to win on Stupid.

DarJones
and it give record like 8, 9 or 10 day whitout surrender...
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Joe CPA

Post by Joe CPA » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:42 am

I'm curious if the computer opponents start out with the same resources as I do? Do we all start equally? On all maps? Regardless of difficulty level?

I would think that if the answer is yes to those questions, then all maps be definition would be winnable. There is always a winner. The winner is determined by the correct sequence of moves. If you did not win, then you did not play as efficiently as someone else did (presumably the winner).

Of course if the computer starts off with a 100 barons on some map, then it probably is not winnable.

Joe CPA

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:09 am

I'm curious if the computer opponents start out with the same resources as I do? Do we all start equally? On all maps? Regardless of difficulty level?
Nope. There are maps where you start out with a major advantage with more territory or more connected territory. There are other maps where you start with little or no resources. That is why it is fun.

You can still win all maps, just some of them are very very difficult.

DarJones

robotom

Post by robotom » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:46 am

I did Pyfou in 32 rounds. Now Laub (41) Poja (45), were frustrating maps for me :)

I remember on one map that I just couldn't win I ended up conceding a bunch of territory to other colors just so that they would help me fight the guy in the middle who had way too much of a starting advantage.