Revisiting Slay after some years

Conquer the island
Leon

Revisiting Slay after some years

Post by Leon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:16 am

Hello every one and Happy New Year !

First I want to thank publicly Sean for his excellent help in recovering my licensed games after a crash and change of puters.

I purchased Slay in 2005 and played a lot of islands that come with it. After 2-3 weeks, I would always play on "Very intelligent" and I recall wnning ALL islands with fairly good scores - albeit not the best achieved by others here.

I stopped playing almost 3 years ago. After re-installing the game a few days ago, I went into a frenzy playing islands of the first group (small ones). Initially I tried "very intelligent" but failed several times so I set it on "intelligent" only.

Amazingly, I seem to loose 25% of the time even at this lower level. Frankly I am surprised and getting upset (with myself !) that I am now finding it so hard. It worries me because I am 62 and I imagine that my brain faculties must be going down.

Has anyone else had the experience of being good at slay and later finding it difficult to win, even at a lower intelligence level ???

Has Sean made the latest version harder to beat ???

I would love to hear your input and why not try to play online with real people.

Thanks and regards to all.

leon
Intelligence is a tool to fight the forces of evil.

Leon

Post by Leon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 am

As an example, island 83 I can win only at level "stupid" and and on turn 28.

Sad huh ..?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am

The AI of the computer players hasn't changed in years, but there was a slight rule change from version 5.0 (May 2007) onwards in that new villages are now created in more central positions.

In older versions of Slay they were always created in the top left hand most hexagon of a territory.

This does make it slightly harder to overrun an enemy territory as if you capture the village then the newly create village will appear in a hexagon that has a lot of friendly hexagons around it that the village will protect.

My guess is that you are just a bit rusty and will get back to your winning ways with a bit of practice!

Leon

Post by Leon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks Sean, I shall keep at it. It may come back to me once I have played more games. When I loose 2-3 times on an island, I set the level lower until I can beat it, Later on, I shall revisit every island at the highest play level. So I have have many hours of fun - and frustration ! - ahead lol

Best, leon