Complete AI strategy and Rules (and maybe SDK?)

Conquer the island
Vikstar

Complete AI strategy and Rules (and maybe SDK?)

Post by Vikstar » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:35 am

Is there a document that details the exact algorithm that is used for the AI and rules such as tree growth? It seems tree growth is a little random, sometimes it spreads, sometimes it doesn't.

A second question I have is about an SDK. Does one exist? I'm a researcher in AI, and i've enjoyed playing slay, but for me it would be more fun trying to create an AI capable of beating the game AI. If not an SDK, then perhaps a full specification of the network protocol would be sufficient. If more people are interested, a kind of AI tournament could created.

EDIT: One other game rule that seems a bit random, is where capitals are located once a territory is split.

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:05 pm

I would love to try to write an AI
for Slay! We could have a toruney pitting out Slay AI's against each other. That would be excellent!

If anything, the hut-relocating algorithm is not random enough. It always seems to crop up in the upper left of the territory. I'd like to put in a request for a relocation algorithm that mixes things up more.

While we're at it, how about the
possibility of moving your hut at
will for a price of 25 or half of what's in it, whichever is more?

But to come back to the main point, it would be cool to have a
simple language for describing Slay AI's, so that interested people could write their own AI's and put them up to battle one another.

I expect this would take a fair amount of work, though. But it would be darned interesting.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:45 pm

The palm trees propagate only around the waters edge. They will propagate onto any empty hex. They only propagate to a hex when it is that colour's turn.

The pine trees propagate only when two or more of them are within 1 hex of each other and there is no intervening obstruction. If two of them are within crosspollination distance, you get more trees between and/or beside the two existing trees. The pine trees are very dangerous if let out of control.

The hut always repositions to the upper left of a territory if it is destroyed. If you join two territories, the hut always remains in the larger territory. There are special conditions if some of the hexes are occupied by trees when you join two territories.

Fusion