Question on Buying Full Version

Conquer the island
DanaeKC

Question on Buying Full Version

Post by DanaeKC » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:56 pm

I love slay. I first encountered it as part of a pack of 100 sharewares games on a CD back when you could find installation disks on 3.5 floppies. After anything involving Final Fantasy (yeah, I know) it was my favorite game, ever. And it was just a demo. So after losing the CD in a move and being unable to install the game on a new computer, I finally hunkered down and paid the $20 for the full version off the website several years ago.

I was in heaven. Best purchase ever (besides Tactics). I spent many an hour trying to reach the holy grail of 11 days and 9 days for each island. It was certifiably impossible on many of them, but that didn't keep me from trying.

Well, 2 computers later I'd like to reacquaint myself with Slay, especially since it has many many many more islands and now has an editor feature (!!!) to make your own islands. But I'm a little afraid. I know there's an extended download clause you can buy, giving you permission to redownload the game from the site up to one year, and that's why I'm afraid.

Do I have to keep paying $20 each time there's a new version of Slay to download?

If after the year is up this computer goes down, can I not use my registration code to redownload the version of Slay I had bought, or do I have to buy another version for $20?

If I don't buy the extended download clause, and within this year this computer goes down, am I SOL and have to pay another $20 to get the game?

I'd like to make an informed decision before giving my CC out for this.. I don't want to rip Sean out of any money (cuz this game rocks), but I don't want to overspend either, especially since it doesn't seem like I'd be buying the game, just buying the right to use the game (as opposed to having an actual CD in hand for installs that I can install whenever I want). This game isn't Everquest (thank god), and I wouldn't want to purchase if it was. You know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:02 am

Just email Sean and he will take care of the details. He normally does not charge for upgrades or re-downloads. That hadn't changed the last I knew.

Fusion

gruff

Post by gruff » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:04 am

If you've bought Slay once, you've bought it forever. $20 gets you all the new versions in perpetuity. Email Sean and ask for the new version. And try some multiplayer Slay: it's a very different game.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:54 pm

The '1 year extended download agreemnt' is one that Regnow (the company that handles the money for 'small' software developers like Sean and myself (me being quite a lot smaller than Sean)) 'offers' (whether we like it or not).
I do not believe it is necessary.
Sean has always offered to allow an owner ot upgrade to the new version for free provided they are able to inform him of the codes and the date of purchase from the same email address.
I strongly suggest you keep this information somewhere safe, and in that case you should be able to get new versions free of charge from Sean just by asking.
That said however, to my knowledge Sean has never promised to do this forever, he has just done so in the past ("past performance is no guarantee of future performance ... ").
Since the game is so small, it also wouldn't hurt you to save a safe copy off to some removeable media in case your computer dies, they you can re-install it yourself.

DanaeKC

Post by DanaeKC » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 pm

thank you. i emailed. he's pretty quick =)